Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pretty decent budget tripod and head combo from amazon.

Pretty decent budget tripod and head combo from amazon.

Just thought i would share some amazon finds that i purchased and have been testing for a bit here. I wanted to put together a budget tripod for my son so he could glass off of. Im really impressed with this tripod head, ive bounced around with a handful of heads trying to find one that worked well for me. I used to use an outdoorsmans pistol grip but found it a bit cumbersome with a 65mm spotter, but worked awesome for binos. I even tried the outdoorsmans pan head which i didnt like because with the spotter you couldnt pan smoothly with it, it would be either locked or unlocked and sometimes when unlocking it if you werent hanging onto the spotter it would flop forward or backwards. This one here is a fluid head, and you can easily set the tension so you can pan and tilt with binos and spotter. Holds them solid. The combo of both is 2lbs 11oz. The head itself it 7ish oz.

The head is $56, comes with one extra plate, i pulled the rubber knob off it and shortened the handle a bit

SmallRig Selection Tripod Fluid Head Pan Tilt Head with Quick Release Plate for Arca Swiss for for Compact Video Cameras and DSLR Cameras -3259 : Amazon.ca: Electronics

The tripod is $135, i found an open box one for $120 on amazon. I pulled the ball head off and put the pan head on, it goes tall enough to stand with if you like that, i dont. I might remove the bottom leg section but we'll see. It also has a tab inside where the center post slides to keep the center post from turning inside, i ground it off so i can rotate the center post if i wanted.

Neewer Carbon Fiber 66 inches/168 centimeters Camera Tripod Monopod with 360 Degree Ball Head,1/4 inch Quick Shoe Plate,Bag for DSLR Camera,Video Camcorder,Load up to 26.5 pounds/12 kilograms : Amazon.ca: Electronics

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Pretty decent budget tripod and head combo from amazon.

Thanks for sharing, I'm sure folks in the market for a new setup will definitely give this consideration.

Cheers!

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Thanks for the info Scott.
    pretty good price for sure.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

The tripod is very similar to the ProMaster that was highly regarded. I like the value aspect. Too many people
    think that the latest and most expensive gear is what is needed. Budget friendly items that work will get you out in the field. I definitely like the size and weight of the fluid head. It would
    be cool to thread the handle and put a cheap carbon fibre bolt
    knob on it.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Even cheaper yet
    $100 for aluminum and weighs barely more than the carbon.
    I think this one’s an even better bang for your Buck.

https://www.amazon.ca/Concept-Alumin...dDbGljaz10cnVl

BCBillies recommended it to me, it’s the one he uses and it’s the one I bought to glass for the sheep draw.. they have been working amazingly with a 85mm spotter and binos on them… I got scratch and dent ones for 70$ that were immaculate.
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 09-08-2022 at 09:29 AM.

How long have you had it? Any flaws yet?

That tripod is exactly like my i look pro master. It’s a great tripod.
    the price is even cheaper then the pro master.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Yah i used to have an older promaster and really regretted getting rid of it. XC-325C i think it was. The difference with the handle an no handle is 1.0oz. Not sure if its worth the trouble of the carbon fiber handle or not.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Even cheaper yet
    $100 for aluminum and weighs barely more than the carbon.
    I think this one’s an even better bang for your Buck.

https://www.amazon.ca/Concept-Alumin...dDbGljaz10cnVl

BCBillies recommended it to me, it’s the one he uses and it’s the one I bought to glass for the sheep draw.. they have been working amazingly with a 85mm spotter and binos on them… I got scratch and dent ones for 70$ that were immaculate.
    Im not a fan of those plastic flip locks, that one is cheaper for sure but i think this neewer one is better from my experience with tripods.

Thanks for posting. I have a Rangers carbon fibre tripod I got off amazon about 5 years ago but have been struggling with the ball head ever since. Going to give the head a try.