Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ground Ratio's

Arrow Re: Ground Ratio's

I run with 25 - 30% somewhat fatty pork in both sausages and burger.
    Works for me & the Missuz.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: Ground Ratio's

I've never been tempted to make any kind of sausages. I don't even like pepperoni and I find that all the prepared spice mixes for sausage that I have tasted in other folks game sausages just make the wild meat taste like somehting from Safeway. That's not for me. I really like my game meat as is.

When Mrs. and me butcher, we add nothing to the ground meat.
    Last edited by MichelD; 09-10-2022 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    I run with 25 - 30% somewhat fatty pork in both sausages and burger.
    Works for me & the Missuz.

Cheers,
    Nog
    Thanks, Have you ever tried beef instead of pork? I've been bouncing back and forth from Game/Pork/Beef to Game/Beef. When those briskets go on sale I end up with a lot of trim and I think I like the beef flavor with my game better than pork.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I've never been tempted to make any kind of sausages. I don't even like pepperoni and I find that all the prepared spice mixes for sausage that I have tasted in other folks game sausages just make the wild meat taste like somehting from Safeway. That's not for me. I really like my game meat as is.

When Mrs. and me butcher, we add nothing to the ground meat.
    That's too bad, your missing out. So you can honestly say that you don't ever have breakfast sausages, smokies, salami, summer sausage etc? The possibilities with ground meat, seasonings, and a sausage stuffer are endless. It isn't about hiding the wild meat's taste, if done right it should accentuate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breiber View Post
    That's too bad, your missing out. So you can honestly say that you don't ever have breakfast sausages, smokies, salami, summer sausage etc? The possibilities with ground meat, seasonings, and a sausage stuffer are endless. It isn't about hiding the wild meat's taste, if done right it should accentuate it.
    I haven't had breakfast sausages since I retired and quit cooking on fishboats, and even then I only made 'em for the other crew members and I don't eat smokies, salami or summer sausage and certainly not pepperoni.

I shot my first deer 52 years ago next month and like I said; I like 'em the way they come.
    Last edited by MichelD; 09-13-2022 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I haven't had breakfast sausages since I retired and quit cooking on fishboats, and even then I only made 'em for the other crew members and I don't eat smokies, salami or summer sausage and certainly not pepperoni.

I shot my first deer 52 years ago next month and like I said; I like 'em the way they come.
    Wow, you have a lot of experience at this craft. I'm envious. Don't get me wrong, we like the taste of game muscle meat as well now that we have learned a few different cooking styles. We have just had bad experiences in the past with game that tasted down right awful and I'm determined not to turn my wife away from this. If she won't eat it then there is zero point in me learning to hunt. I just assumed that everyone was blending their ground but I'll have to give it a go straight up.

As for the smoked meats, no plans to change there. I know they aren't the healthiest but damn they are good. We use it in day packs for snacks, take it to work for snacks, use it on pizzas, in omelettes, charcuterie boards, etc. Sausages and smokies don't seem to get eaten as fast as I thought they would but they never go to waste. When we run out of ground if we have a surplus of dinner sausage I just split the casings open and steal the guts for ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Breiber View Post
    Wow, you have a lot of experience at this craft. I'm envious. Don't get me wrong, we like the taste of game muscle meat as well now that we have learned a few different cooking styles. We have just had bad experiences in the past with game that tasted down right awful and I'm determined not to turn my wife away from this. If she won't eat it then there is zero point in me learning to hunt. I just assumed that everyone was blending their ground but I'll have to give it a go straight up.

As for the smoked meats, no plans to change there. I know they aren't the healthiest but damn they are good. We use it in day packs for snacks, take it to work for snacks, use it on pizzas, in omelettes, charcuterie boards, etc. Sausages and smokies don't seem to get eaten as fast as I thought they would but they never go to waste. When we run out of ground if we have a surplus of dinner sausage I just split the casings open and steal the guts for ground.
    Well, I may be cutting down on my hunting too. My wife, who has been my enthusiastic butcher, cook and consumer of game meat since we were married in 1974 has developed a sensitivity to all red meat and waterfowl too so she only eats a tiny amout when we use a piece of venison. One thawed out package, be it roast, stir fry, ground or steak lasts at least two meals and sometimes three. I still have two liquor store wine boxes of cuts and half a box of ground venison from a deer I got October 1.

I am a fanatic about game meat care so we have rarely experienced bad tasting game meat. One time around 1982 I made the mistake of hanging a bear for a day instead of butchering it as soon as possible and that tasted a little off. It doesn't age nicely, it just goes bad. Another time a friend of a friend from Ontario shot a big old spring bear that was so ancient he hadn't slept all winter and ate rotten chum out of a river. His teeth were worn down to nubs and the ball joints in his limbs were rattly and loose. He was inedible through no fault of my own. We tried every darn thing in the book to make it edible and finally brought the meat to the OWL raptor rescue centre.

I'm not opposed to eating sausages. When I've travelled to Europe I've enjoyed saucisson sec in France. They are small dried sausages made with a variety of meats, including boar and deer. I like the odd dried Serbian sausage from a local butcher and when I go hunting I usually bring a couple Polish BBQ sausages to grill. At least I did, but the Polish butcher shop near me moved away. Maybe the Serbs on commercial Drive have something similar.
    But having said that, I don't like sausage enough to try making it.

I'm fine with roasts, stew, stir-fry, goulash, steaks, chops, and the many things you can use ground in. My wife also occasionally makes rouladen (a German meat dish, usually consisting of bacon, onions, mustard and pickles wrapped in thinly sliced meat which is then cooked.) from thinly sliced large steaks and Königsberger Klopse, German meatballs stewed in a special broth.