Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada Goose Opener

Canada Goose Opener

Who's ready for tomorrows opener? I have a small field I can hunt and will try to get some fly overs to come down to my party.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Canada Goose Opener

Stoked. Got geese flying all around in the evening time so will be out the next couple days getting some geese in the freezer

Well no luck yesterday at all. I am thinking of trying Boundary bay at 64th tomorrow morning but have never hunted there do I need to bring my decoys or is it just a luck thing as they fly over?

Got out last night for opener. Jump shot a couple, but not a lot of movement.

heading back tonight, hoping this cooler weather and rain shakes things up.

I have a pile of decoys if anyone is interested

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Last year was a total zero for me on opener, this was by far the best Boundary opener I've been a part of. You definitely should hit up 64th street. We piled 15 honkers (I got 3 myself - though it's hard to tell who got what really). There was another big group who got there first and they definitely were raining down bodies. At first we were deriding them as skybusters - and be honest guys if you are reading this, you were throwing up a lot of high shots - but in the end there were SO MANY GEESE in the air success by volume was working. There were enough birds that it's not worth complaining about.

So get out there and be respectful for others. It can be easy to play fast and loose when the harvest is good. We saw some bad behaviour out there but I don't want to use this thread to call it out.

Decoys aren't necessary IMO more than seeing the early flight paths and then adjusting. We did put up a lot of decoys - hard work - shells, silos, even some old foamies. While they did not hurt, if yesterday was any indication, the Canadas were just mental. I mean they flew low, they flew directly at you, they came from every direction. As long as you are hidden and you have a good eye you will stack them.

I've always laughed at the 10 bird limit but I'm pretty sure if we had stuck it out the whole day a 10 limit would have been achievable.
    Last edited by silveragent; 09-04-2022 at 11:09 AM.

Is there a difference between morning or evening?
    As far as number of geese in the air.

I was only there for the morning but from 8:30 to noon it was pretty much constant activity. They were flying as we were pulling out our decoys and coming right over us

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    Last year was a totally zero for me on opener, this was by far the best Boundary opener I've been a part of. You definitely should hit up 64th street. We piled 15 honkers (I got 3 myself - though it's hard to tell who got what really). There was another big group who got there first and they definitely were raining down bodies. At first we were deriding them as skybusters - and be honest guys if you are reading this, you were throwing up a lot of high shots - but in the end there were SO MANY GEESE in the air success by volume was working. There were enough birds that it's not worth complaining about.

So get out there and be respectful for others. It can be easy to play fast and loose when the harvest is good. We saw some bad behaviour out there but I don't want to use this thread to call it out.

Decoys aren't necessary IMO more than seeing the early flight paths and then adjusting. We did put up a lot of decoys - hard work - shells, silos, even some old foamies. While they did not hurt, if yesterday was any indication, the Canadas were just mental. I mean they flew low, they flew directly at you, they came from every direction. As long as you are hidden and you have a good eye you will stack them.

I've always laughed at the 10 bird limit but I'm pretty sure if we had stuck it out the whole day a 10 limit would have been achievable.
    sounds like a great opener for you!! We were more inland on a field, sounds like the water is the place to be

upperleftcoaster, we heard lots of inland shots so hopefully you got something.

I put up my own report here.