Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunting While HOT! Best tips

Re: Hunting While HOT! Best tips

2 large zippered pillow cases and go gutless and boneless method. Hide and bone are the 2 biggest hindrances to cooling meat fast and excess moisture is a great way to start the rotting process.
    Water is full of its own organisms and streams this time of year are generally low and not super cold anyway.

Last sheep I shot was 8 days from hitting the ground to laying on the cutting board and never lost a pound of meat. Off the carcass, into a pillowcase single layer and layed in the shade on criss cross sticks, flipping twice a day to remove moisture from the bottom. Literally brushed off a half inch of blow fly eggs on more than one occasion, but not a single maggot ever touched the meat.

Plastic bags or plastic tubs are also speed rotters. They have their place for backpacks or car trunks, but only for short duration, especially if the meat is still shedding heat. Once cooled/dried on the outside a bit it's a little more forgiving, especially with the top open.

Early season is a non issue, if you're willing to break away from cold season meat handling traditions.

Quote Originally Posted by campking View Post
    Might sound funny but when we hunted early season like you are mentioning we always took our utility trailer and went to the local hockey rink if open
    and filled it with ice and that would last the entire weekend great to lay the deer on top of.
    The thought of eating meat off that dirty ice is enough to make me gag. And if you're laying an unskinned animal on it, your really not benefitting from the cold anyway.

Well. We've seen 3 does in 2 days in areas I typically see 20. Crazy hot. Hope others are having more success.

Lots of bucks lots of chance for the young ones

Quote Originally Posted by JIL_24/7 View Post
    Well. We've seen 3 does in 2 days in areas I typically see 20. Crazy hot. Hope others are having more success.
    Its getting quite dry out there and muggy. Find water sources deer will not be far.

Yesterday was yucky where I'm at. Could barely drag my ass around with the combination of heat, humdity and smoke. Thought the heck, if I stick something no way I'm up for the task let alone rushing to get it cool.

Today was way better. Was able to hike into some spots and do some actual hunting. Turned up nothing but had a great time doing it!