Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Albacore Tuna Fishing

Albacore Tuna Fishing

Just back from my second trip chasing tooners off the west coast of Vancouver Island out of Tofino. If anyone has every wanted to try the biomass that is about 45 miles out of Tofino is one that locals are calling some of the best they have ever seen. We couldn't fit anymore fish iced in the boat and had ~34 in about 4 hours.

Only thing to bear in mind is if going you have to be prepared to go in short order as satellite imagery of where the temperature breaks are into the blue water need to line up with the weather. My buddy called on Saturday and said if you guys are good to go on Monday.....get over here!! Thankfully my sister in laws house was available and I booked flights in on Sunday to fish Monday and we came back home yesterday.

It is an awesome fishery and all 7 or so of the boats that were out there came in with crazy numbers of fish.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Albacore Tuna Fishing

Sounds like an awesome trip. How was the water? Unfortunately I get motion sick so I am limited when it comes to ocean fishing.

Sounds like fun and good on you!
    Have wanted to do it but none of the boats my friends have are anywhere close enough to being fuel efficient to do the trip, even with as much extra gas that could be carried.
    And to be able to have a minimum 2 boat convoy for safety.

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    Sounds like an awesome trip. How was the water? Unfortunately I get motion sick so I am limited when it comes to ocean fishing.
    We had a bit of a swell and some chop but all in all very good. If you get motion sickness on the water I can tell you after many pharmaceutical trials I have done on a buddy what we finally got to work for him. Gravol the night before just as going to bed and then in the morning two Meclizine pills (12.5 mg each). He was a chronic puker until we got on this program for him.

You can't my commercial Meclizine in Canada anymore but any compounding pharmacy can make them up. They used to be sold under the branded name Bonine in Canada and for some reason they became unavailable. If you are ever in the US pick some up if you want to get out on the ocean; some pharmacies sell the generic ones in a bottle of 50 for under $20.

No time to relax out there....we picked off singles for the first hour and then it was doubles, triples and one quad hooked up. It beats you up pretty well and becomes mayhem on the boat.
    Last edited by MB_Boy; 08-31-2022 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Sounds like fun and good on you!
    Have wanted to do it but none of the boats my friends have are anywhere close enough to being fuel efficient to do the trip, even with as much extra gas that could be carried.
    And to be able to have a minimum 2 boat convoy for safety.
    Ya we were buddied up but there were a half dozen boats out there. When you are out that far is sure does make you feel pretty insignificant and at the mercy of Mother Ocean.

How big a boat?
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    How big a boat?

26' Pursuit

one of my bucket list...CONGRADS for making the effort...sounds EPIC..any photos?
    cheers
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    one of my bucket list...CONGRADS for making the effort...sounds EPIC..any photos?
    cheers
    Steven
    I have given up posting photos on here. I used to use photobucket but that site is so messed up with advertising etc. I could send to anyone who wants to post up.

you can upload them to the gallery here then link the photo in the gallery to the thread...