Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boots

Re: Boots

A few years ago I caved & got a pair of Meindl to replace boots that I owned for decades, Dachstein I think. Nice, but not sure they'll last as long as the ones they replaced. But that's ok, I prolly won't last for 3 more decades either hehe...
    Last edited by mike31154; 08-30-2022 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Awesome thanks guys! For those who are in the lower wasteland where do you get these boots from?
    VPO has a good selection of Hanwags and I believe they carry Scarpa as well.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Another vote for Scarpa -- hard to beat for the price. I've had mine for over a decade (multi-day hikes and hunts, search and rescue, work).

Ive been using la Sportiva evo mountaineering boots for the past several years and albeit they are heavier I find them to be the ideal boot for sheep hunting. super stiff shank so on the steep terrain its like you have built in platforms to rest, completely waterproof. I have yet to get blisters in them. Your feet are firmly set in them no chance of driving your toes into the front of the boot when you are doing alot of steep downhill travel. use can also use them with xcountry skis and or crampons. I'm also a fan of scarpas have a pair for hunts other than my sheep hunts. As well I hear good things about crispi and kenetrek from my sheep hunting buddies but not a fan of meindl boots

I have tried them all and I HATE them all. No matter what I do to reason with my boots, they don't listen. They drag me, against my will, up and over mountains. Into riverbottoms and drainages choked full of alder. Then back up the steep slopes to where the sheep and goats call home.

Do yourself a favour and don't buy any boots.
    WSSBC Life Member

My Scarpas were very comfortable right from the start, but the soles lasted only 2 years hiking +/- 2 hours/day. With the new glued on soles resoling them is expensive and probably not worth it. They were also not waterproof in spite of the Goretex. Any water over the gusset and my feet would get wet. My Asolos and Dachsteins lasted much longer. I now use CF Mark IV wet weather combat boots (without the steel nose). They are a bit higher, surprisingly comfortable to walk on, waterproof, tough and inexpensive.

I have Hanwag feet, but lots of good boots mentioned here. My advice; get out and try on as many as you can to find what feels good to you.
    "Often the context of the question is lost in the answers."

Many good brands as mentioned. Finding the ones that fit your feet is key. But, keep in mind a decent boot is in the $500.00 - $750.00 range.

If you go to VPO and like the Hanwags, phone Fisher's Hardware in Vernon and order them up. You'll save a bunch of money. They handle Meindls too, but not sure if there are any dealers in the Lower Wasteland to try on.

Another vote for Scarpa. Six years and going strong.