Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Seasoned Elk hunters: A couple questions

Re: Seasoned Elk hunters: A couple questions

The thermals don't seem to act accordingly in this valley, not in places you think they would always anyways. But now I think of it I don't think he tried to come in down wind.

What I think happened was I start calling at top of mountain (checked wind was in my favour at that time, always do) when I let my first bugle go I think he immidietly started heading up to me. Me not hearing anything back start heading down to his bedroom/staging area and calling every so often. So him heading up me heading down by the time I let my last bugle go he was so close he must have thought that f****er is in my area now and ran right at me. My thoughts after thinking on it.

I went to my back up spot today (different place) and bumped into a herd bull with harem, found 4 wallows and about 18 rubs from last couple weeks, all started with me checking it out and finding Elk scat this summer.

I killed a wolf there today too boys! Two of em were chasing a Doe. Will post pics tonight! Free handed him with my 300win mag probably about 130 yards they gave up on chasing the Doe and realized I was there all happened right infront of me perfect heart shot what an insane trip/year!
    Last edited by TheObserver; 09-14-2022 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkaddict View Post
    Bwahahaha!!!! That is so awesome. If you lived through that experience and now aren't hooked on elk hunting for the rest of time, check your pulse. That right there is quintissential elk hunting for me. Years ago I called a bull into about 30 or 40 yds. My buddy, who had never hunted elk, was 20 yds in front of me, on the edge of a draw with his bow. The bull was on the opposite side, the draw thick with alders and buckbrush. The bull hung up and wouldn't come through the draw but he raged on the other side and tore the crap out of anything he could wrap his horns around. The look on buddy's face was absolutely priceless. When he turned around I couldn't see anything but eyeballs and teeth. Just one of those epic moments that keeps one going back year after year. Your a gone'r now Observer!!! Welcome to the club!!

Windwise, I usually find that the moment the sun hits the side of the mountain the air will start to rise ( anabatic). The opposite is true at night, when the side of the mountain comes into shade the air descends (katabatic). In the morning, if you aren't above your quarry by the time the sun hits the mountain side you might as well find something else to bide your time.
    Hahaha thats hilarious just teeth and eyes.

Yeah dude i'm f***ed now for sure lol!

I was still hunting very slow, ground wet making me almost completely silent. Then I hear rumbling at first I wasn't sure if it was thunder or hooves. Then I thought a herd of Elk was going to run by. Then I see a Doe, putting my bino's up to see if it was a Buck. Then I thought well what could be chasing her..... Could it be a 4 point for some reason so I waited a sec. Two Wolves high tailing after her.

Just so happened that they gave up the chase right infront of my field of view panting. Then they realize I am there and they look at each other than look back at me, and I took the one in the front that offered the better broadside shot. Was pretty crazy!
    Last edited by TheObserver; 09-15-2022 at 10:24 AM.

Hahaha I thought this one was funny, gives a whole new meaning to Bull crap hey lol

Right on!!! Smoke a pack a day. Sounds like you’re in the right spot, nice looking country!! Good luck on the elk.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

I don’t think folks know there is a hunting story inside this thread about elk questions, but thanks for the updates.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    I don’t think folks know there is a hunting story inside this thread about elk questions, but thanks for the updates.

Your right Husky, i'll post a thread about the Wolf

Nice wolf congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    If you do get a bull to respond AND seems to take interest in coming closer.
    You can consider matching his calls.
    Just don’t try to sound bigger.

But do you some cow calls in between.
    Sometimes cow calls is all you need to seal the deal.
    And just remember, elk know exactly where you are calling from, right down to the mm,
    This often means that once they reach a point with direct eyeline sight to you, they often stop there.
    They expect to then see you (another elk, be it bull or cow)
    Lasy several years we have used a Montana decoy that sits out in the open close by.
    I have to say, it helps bring the bull closer and a little more at ease, imo.
    Its not needed, but it can help more than hurt.
    Especially when alone.
    The 2 hunter approach with one way out in front (not calling), is still the best method of actual success.
    But again, it can be done all alone.
    Good luck
    Sorry, BMI but I respectfully disagree (strongly) with the bolded part.

Hunters will find more consistent success if they learn the different types of calls and when to apply them versus randomly blowing on a bugle tube or cow call. Not sure what you mean by "don't try and sound bigger." as that is one of the biggest myths out there. Heard plenty of mature bulls let out wimpy bugles whether it was a locator or ready to fight. Also been fooled several times by chicken neck bulls with a deep, growly groan or long chuckle.

If you're challenging a bull and he's shown interest in engaging, there's absolutely no reason to mix in cow calls. Stick with what is working and don't muddy the waters.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."