Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Seasoned Elk hunters: A couple questions

Re: Seasoned Elk hunters: A couple questions

Thanks for the replies guys!

Sleeps are getting a little antsy now haha right around the corner, got 2 back up spots and a nice alpine place not too far incase the main spot gets spooked or something. Will be a much needed 18 days away from society.

Wish you guys all the best this season and hope you connect with the animals you are after!

If you do get a bull to respond AND seems to take interest in coming closer.
    You can consider matching his calls.
    Just don’t try to sound bigger.
    But do you some cow calls in between.
    Sometimes cow calls is all you need to seal the deal.
    And just remember, elk know exactly where you are calling from, right down to the mm,
    This often means that once they reach a point with direct eyeline sight to you, they often stop there.
    They expect to then see you (another elk, be it bull or cow)
    Lasy several years we have used a Montana decoy that sits out in the open close by.
    I have to say, it helps bring the bull closer and a little more at ease, imo.
    Its not needed, but it can help more than hurt.
    Especially when alone.
    The 2 hunter approach with one way out in front (not calling), is still the best method of actual success.
    But again, it can be done all alone.
    Good luck

The cow groups are run by a lead or matriach cow throughout the yr except when elk go into seclusion to calve.
    Bulls do not run the show during the rut as some think.

I have encountered elk that "yard" up during the rut. This can make for some pretty exciting action with multiple bulls screaming.

When things get rolling the mature bulls are on the hunt. I will sit on elk for days at a time and was surprised that bulls come and go. If there isn't any cows in heat better bulls can simply move on.

My personal experience is bulls vocalize late August to about Sept 3 ( heard numerous bulls while packing in gear for elk camp on the Sept long weekend)
    Things can go pretty quiet for a week or 2 after that before things really get going again.

One of my best bulls I took (360) was the last day of the season (Oct 20th) and he was moaning and groaning at 9 am by himself.

A guy just has put in as much time as he can afford And maximize your dawn and dusk hrs.

Another rule of thumb is elk generally go down at night and up in the morning. Waste of time hunting them uphill when they are on the move.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Just learnt a valuable lesson about them coming in down wind. Crept in above a bedding area in the last hour of light and called, hidden behind a small pine expecting them to come from below me. Out of the whole area it is the only place with bear crap. Looking behind me occasionally as I have found in research and have been told they come in down wind sometimes. All of a sudden I hear something completely ripping it full boar down behind me probably 60 yards, closed it in like half a second. All i'm thinking is bear so I just have enough time to swivel to my right (kneeling) and take my rifle off of safety, then between the blowdown I seen 4 legs with hoofs and right away I knew it was a bull he comes around the corner 5 yards away at a full stop, came in completely silent except for the running when he got close. If he was going any faster he would have ran me right over.

Hahahahaha what a bloody rush wow! He was a nice bull atleast a 5 or 6 happened so fast no way to count but he was good, sucks because I got busted but also know what I am doing is right except for my expectation on where he was going to come from, pretty cool for my first time Elk hunting. I have a lot of time left hopefully I can pull it off before my hunt is over.

Have you guys ever had a bull that busted you come in again before your trip was done or is he spooked?

Also any tips for a set up calling? Was thinking about spending a couple days over looking a wallow as well

Another cool first I killed a Grouse with my knife lol
    Last edited by TheObserver; 09-12-2022 at 09:48 PM.

That happened so fast I would have never expected that when I set out tonight. Pretty cool for first call in, will definitely be hunting Elk yearly from here on out hahaha

Now up at 4:30 to do it all over again
    Last edited by TheObserver; 09-12-2022 at 09:43 PM.

Was absolutely unreal!

I’ve spooked bulls at last light similar to that , and back on them in the morning. Just remember it can be slow for days, but when your there when they decide to light up its magical. We got burned out of our elk hunt 3 days in this year. Heading back out in a couple days to a new spot with a elk tag and a any bull moose LEH,

good luck. Time and patience is your best weapon. Sounds like you have plenty of time. Elk hunting has brought me some of my top experiences in the woods. I’m no longer interested at hunting anything else while elk is open. I don’t even look at deer untill november now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Just learnt a valuable lesson about them coming in down wind. Crept in above a bedding area in the last hour of light and called, hidden behind a small pine expecting them to come from below me. Out of the whole area it is the only place with bear crap. Looking behind me occasionally as I have found in research and have been told they come in down wind sometimes. All of a sudden I hear something completely ripping it full boar down behind me probably 60 yards, closed it in like half a second. All i'm thinking is bear so I just have enough time to swivel to my right (kneeling) and take my rifle off of safety, then between the blowdown I seen 4 legs with hoofs and right away I knew it was a bull he comes around the corner 5 yards away at a full stop, came in completely silent except for the running when he got close. If he was going any faster he would have ran me right over.

Also any tips for a set up calling? Was thinking about spending a couple days over looking a wallow as well
    I wonder if thermals played any role in him coming down wind? On top of other factors to consider, if following thermals in more mountainous terrain I will start high and above in the morning, then low and below in the evening.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B7D1A42A-7307-44CB-ADA1-F29DF939C990.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	8799  

I usually find thermals early in the morning still travelling downhill.
    Then, once it starts to warm up, a couple of hours into the morning it switches uphill and then later by evening, once again downhill.
    But yes, thermals can be completely different then the true weather direction.
    Terrain, and things like creeks can also have an affect.
    i had a bull that was holding up, so I went to him, and as I got close, he got close.
    Thermals at that point w et e going uphill, he was below me, but I then moved up to a creek, and suddenly I realized the thermals there were going downhill.
    Well, I watched his nostrils flare and off he took.
    I took a few steps back, and yup, the thermals where going uphill again.

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Bwahahaha!!!! That is so awesome. If you lived through that experience and now aren't hooked on elk hunting for the rest of time, check your pulse. That right there is quintissential elk hunting for me. Years ago I called a bull into about 30 or 40 yds. My buddy, who had never hunted elk, was 20 yds in front of me, on the edge of a draw with his bow. The bull was on the opposite side, the draw thick with alders and buckbrush. The bull hung up and wouldn't come through the draw but he raged on the other side and tore the crap out of anything he could wrap his horns around. The look on buddy's face was absolutely priceless. When he turned around I couldn't see anything but eyeballs and teeth. Just one of those epic moments that keeps one going back year after year. Your a gone'r now Observer!!! Welcome to the club!!

Windwise, I usually find that the moment the sun hits the side of the mountain the air will start to rise ( anabatic). The opposite is true at night, when the side of the mountain comes into shade the air descends (katabatic). In the morning, if you aren't above your quarry by the time the sun hits the mountain side you might as well find something else to bide your time.