Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seasoned Elk hunters: A couple questions

Seasoned Elk hunters: A couple questions

Hey guys,

So my first Elk hunt is coming up, taken many many Deer but I understand we are dealing with a different animal with different traits.

Question 1 is when the rut is coming on, do the bulls go to the cows or do the cows tend to go to where the bulls are at in your experience? I had 1 legal bull for sure on my cams and I think a second but they have not been by my cams for a month and a half or so, lots of cows though and some younger bulls, I actually bumped into a cow on Friday night checking my cams for the final time she was not spooked and I just walked away in the other direction.

Question 2 is when do you guys start calling, I will be up from the 10th to the 25th of September with my main spot and 2 additional back up plan spots, do you guys wait until you hear calling or like the 15th for an example? just not sure

I have been scouting a lot since May, listened to some invaluable information from guys on here and put cams up (especially one gent in particular but won't name drop, you know who you are), practiced my calling all year both bugle and cow sounds are very good and have been researching a ton on Elk and their behaviour.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can chime in!
    Last edited by TheObserver; 08-28-2022 at 07:39 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Seasoned Elk hunters: A couple questions

I've heard them bugling in late August while moose hunting in the Peace, and bulls fighting the first week of September, so I wouldn't wait till the 15th to call.

The bulls will gather up some cows and take them into a breeding area, if there are cows around there will be some satellite bulls around too, maybe even a lone cranker looking for love, you just never know.

Just be aware when you are calling, predators come to the calls too....grizzly bears and wolves so watch your back and don't fall asleep.

Bulls go to the cows

Calling will start late aug to early September weather can play a role. Rut is determined by number of hours of daylight vs dark. Equinox is the peak of rut

I don’t pay attention to bulls on my trail cams in the summer. It’s cool to see them, but the chances of them being there come hunting season, are slim to none. I get fired up when I see lots of cows on my cams throughout the summer leading up to the season. Find the cows, the bulls will be there soon enough. Probably about now, the bachelor groups should be breaking up and the bigger bulls are heading to there “staging area”. A place they will stay and hangout by themselves for the next 2 weeks or so getting ready for the rut. If you can find these guys, they are the ones you wanna be hunting. Usually very aggressive and territorial and Very susceptible to calling. Once they shack up with the cows, they get tougher to hunt.

I was out last night glassing, did a little bit of calling, had one bull answer with a very timid bugle. The earliest I’ve had a bull bugle where I’m at is August 20th. Usually picks up and gets good around September 3, Starts slowing down October 1st. My style of elk hunting, calling is key. I rely on calling right from September 1st through the end of the end of the season on October 20 and can usually find elk that wanna play the game thru the whole season. My advice is keep educating yourself on elk behaviour, what there going to be doing and when. Keep practicing your calling and understand when to use the right calls in the right situation. Elk hunting university @ ELk101.com is an awesome source of information that is worth every penny. Definitely worth a look anyway. Good luck this year!
    Last edited by Bullreaper; 08-28-2022 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    I've heard them bugling in late August while moose hunting in the Peace, and bulls fighting the first week of September, so I wouldn't wait till the 15th to call.

The bulls will gather up some cows and take them into a breeding area, if there are cows around there will be some satellite bulls around too, maybe even a lone cranker looking for love, you just never know.

Just be aware when you are calling, predators come to the calls too....grizzly bears and wolves so watch your back and don't fall asleep.
    I have heard this before about the predators thanks again for reminding me I will keep it in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullreaper View Post
    I don’t pay attention to bulls on my trail cams in the summer. It’s cool to see them, but the chances of them being there come hunting season, are slim to none. I get fired up when I see lots of cows on my cams throughout the summer leading up to the season. Find the cows, the bulls will be there soon enough. Probably about now, the bachelor groups should be breaking up and the bigger bulls are heading to there “staging area”. A place they will stay and hangout by themselves for the next 2 weeks or so getting ready for the rut. If you can find these guys, they are the ones you wanna be hunting. Usually very aggressive and territorial and Very susceptible to calling. Once they shack up with the cows, they get tougher to hunt.

I was out last night glassing, did a little bit of calling, had one bull answer with a very timid bugle. The earliest I’ve had a bull bugle where I’m at is August 20th. Usually picks up and gets good around September 3, Starts slowing down October 1st. My style of elk hunting, calling is key. I rely on calling right from September 1st through the end of the end of the season on October 20 and can usually find elk that wanna play the game thru the whole season. My advice is keep educating yourself on elk behaviour, what there going to be doing and when. Keep practicing your calling and understand when to use the right calls in the right situation. Elk hunting university @ ELk101.com is an awesome source of information that is worth every penny. Definitely worth a look anyway. Good luck this year!
    Priceless info ^^^^^^^^
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    Bulls go to the cows

Calling will start late aug to early September weather can play a role. Rut is determined by number of hours of daylight vs dark. Equinox is the peak of rut
    I had a feeling this is how it goes, which is good news. The cows are there.

From the research I have done calling in is easier during pre rut before they have their harems, and I think the equinox falls on the 23rd this year I could be wrong my hunt will be coming to an end unless I get one before.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullreaper View Post

Okay awesome!

Nice! Always learning and doing my calls daily I think they sound very well, I watch their elk hunting videos but didn't purchase the elk university, i'll check it out and thank you and all the best to you this season as well!

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Okay awesome!

Nice! Always learning and doing my calls daily I think they sound very well, I watch their elk hunting videos but didn't purchase the elk university, i'll check it out and thank you and all the best to you this season as well!

promo code RANDY. Save yourself $20 if u do decide to purchase it. Like I said before, I think it’s worth every penny.

It's good your bumping cows, as mentioned the bulls come to the cows, from my research, lead cow is the boss...

As for calling the earliest I've had a reply is Aug 1st, albeit just a location Bugle.. I'd have no reluctance to calling as soon as you begin your hunt, IMO..