Thread: IPhone SE

IPhone SE

I didn’t want to highjack the recent thread on GPS’s posted so I will start this one.
    First I’m not very tech savvy so. I recently bought a new iPhone and have 3 gig I’d data with my plan
    In the other thread fellas were talking about using your cell phone along with a GPS
    #1 . Why do you do this ?
    #2. Can I use my cell phone as a GPS if so do I need to have an app for that ?
    I will start with that
    Thank You !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

2. Site Sponsor

Re: IPhone SE

GAIA gps. And IHunter BC is everything you will ever need and a battery pack to keep your phone charged up .
    Bluehive make good ones Get them when on sale at Can Tire for a good deal . JMO. RJ

Is this all you use RJ ?
    #1 Do you not use a dedicated GPS unit like a Garmin with InReach ?
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    GAIA gps. And IHunter BC is everything you will ever need and a battery pack to keep your phone charged up .
    Bluehive make good ones Get them when on sale at Can Tire for a good deal . JMO. RJ
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 08-27-2022 at 10:23 PM.

Arctic, I use an iPhone for a GPS with GAIA as my app. Have since back in 2015 when my expensive Garmin GPS with BC backroads maps failed right after the warranty expired...our fifth failure of a Garmin GPS between my wife and I. Wouldn't dream of going back to a GPS vs the iPhone with app with the great screen, aerial photos, many maps that cover the world available with GAIA.

That said, I do use a Garmin InReach SE+ since 2017 as my communication and SOS tool. Paired with the iPhone it keeps my wife happy to know I'm still alive. Today I'd buy the Mini 2, but Mini's were not yet available when I bought the SE+. No issues with it. I like that I can change subscription plans several times a year to economize the cost based on where I'm headed and frequency of planned usage.

I like my Garmin Montana as a dedicated GPS device. Much more rugged than a phone, works with Garmin rechargeable battery pack or AA batteries. I had an Oregon for years & it never failed me until I messed with it trying to change a scratched screen.

Thanks for the last replies Blockcaver and Mike 31154 . I will have more questions
    Arctic Lake

Your phone will work well as a GPS type device for navigating. I don't use an app but have read about some that sound good. I just cache the google earth imagery while I have service. However you will not be able to call for help if in an area of no service and the battery life is not as good as the GPS units. On an extended trip you would need a battery back like RJ mentioned. I now have the Inreach66i for rambling, mushrooming and solo hunting because I'm getting up there and it gives others peace of mind when I'm out and about. It has been used a lot by family members at a family cabin and has worked well for messaging. It depends what you want you want to do.
    "Bullshit doesn't need to be countered by anything, just called out for what it is." Edward Teach

In the other thread fellas were talking about using your cell phone along with a GPS
    I think you are mis-reading something.
    Posts talk about pairing a phone with an Inreach, the Inreach is the sat connection, but I wonder too is the phone is an extension for ease of typing msgs or viewing a bigger screen, or is the phone running a nav app like BRMB or Gaia or TNN

For the phone o be a stand alone GPS, basic Google Maps get you roads and directions but not backcountry topographic or trail info, for that you need an app like Top Notch Navigator
    but then relies on cell service for locating as a phone doesn't have satellite connectivity

Correct me if I'm wrong, still trying to get teksavy too
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

I’m asking questions on a couple of other threads here , so if you ride along with me on this topic you might get the answers you are looking for . No one is as illiterate on tech as myself . No One ! LOL !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    I think you are mis-reading something.
    Posts talk about pairing a phone with an Inreach, the Inreach is the sat connection, but I wonder too is the phone is an extension for ease of typing msgs or viewing a bigger screen, or is the phone running a nav app like BRMB or Gaia or TNN

For the phone o be a stand alone GPS, basic Google Maps get you roads and directions but not backcountry topographic or trail info, for that you need an app like Top Notch Navigator
    but then relies on cell service for locating as a phone doesn't have satellite connectivity

Correct me if I'm wrong, still trying to get teksavy too