Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting away from your truck

Re: Getting away from your truck

Here’s a bit of inspiration for you to get out there and find some deer in the backcountry. This is one thing I didn’t have time for when I lived on the island, but wish I had done. Get a lightweight tent and spend some nights out there, you won’t regret it. The guy in the video is also a member here, I think he goes by Harv.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCaL0a...2oUYtow/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Here’s a bit of inspiration for you to get out there and find some deer in the backcountry. This is one thing I didn’t have time for when I lived on the island, but wish I had done. Get a lightweight tent and spend some nights out there, you won’t regret it. The guy in the video is also a member here, I think he goes by Harv.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCaL0a...2oUYtow/videos

awesome. Inspiration for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    Why would you want to leave the truck?
    To get away from the likes of you, of course!

If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

[QUOTE=DirtFarmer;2356933]Wanting to hear from guys that know how to get out there and put boots on the ground. Most of my hunting is parking a truck in the morning darkness on a logging road waiting for day break. Getting impatient throughout the day and walking along road sides occasionally stepping off a few feet into the bush (all the while wishing I was hiking a ridge line or glassing a secluded bowl). My questions is about gaining confidence and knowledge about getting off the roads and into where the animals are. I know the quick answer is “get a gps app and walk into the bush” or “the animals are on the roads!”. Looking for more of a convo about the wilderness, how to or if you follow game trails and gaining the confidence of being in the woods without that nagging worry of getting lost.

thanks for the read,

Dirt[/QUOTE

There is only one way to gain confidence……get out of the truck and go for a walk. Take what ever device you have, compass/smart phone/gps/flagging tape, and start walking, You don’t have to go far to start building confidence or test your ability to maintain your heading. If possible find a small mtn with a distinct land mark, log block or rock out cropping, that’s 200-500yds from the road and see if you can find it with out using gps/smart phone. If possible do this in an area where your gaining elevation and allows you to see your vehicle or the road your parked on. Being able to see your vehicle or the road can help if you start to get uncomfortable.

start small and don’t over think everything.

What I have always done when hunting timber in unfilmilular area I read what way the sun is moving take note of the movement of the sun before intering the timber if it is sunny out, even if there is cloud cover most times you can still see where the sun is take note where your unit is from witch way the sun is traveling take a cumpass reading on where your quad or truck are before intering the timber read the road on what way it is running with the compass then when you go into the timber you will have to come out the opisite way you went into the timber with using the compass have a GPS and do a wieghpoint when your at your truck or quad most times a person can find an opening in the timber for a GPS reading on what direction you need to head back to your truck or quad.
    Last edited by hunter1947; 08-27-2022 at 02:57 PM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    Hi
    I would suggest spending time with someone that has the skills to be in the back country and soak up what knowledge you can. Its a shorter path to confidence in my opinion. Also dont completely rely on a gps or other electronic devices learn how to use a compass and map.

Best of luck hunting
    This is sound advice right here... I personally don't use a GPS, I am experienced in using a compass, map, the sun, and/or natural navigation techniques to find my way about, even in territory that is new to me.. I find that when one doesn't rely on a GPS it makes you more cognizant of your surroundings and makes you constantly pay attention... that being said, I have nothing against a GPS and they can be a very handy tool - I recently downloaded a program on my phone that tracks me like a GPS and I've enjoyed how truly handy it is.

I had the advantage of learning these skills to begin with in the military however...

The more you do it, like anything else, the more comfortable you will become at doing it..

Feel free to PM me for more details...once you get the navigation aspect of bush travel down , learn to identify key habitat for the game your pursuing..

I would suggest spending time with someone that has the skills to be in the back country and soak up what knowledge you can. Its a shorter path to confidence in my opinion
    I had the advantage of learning these skills to begin with in the military however..
    For me it was Cubs and then Boy Scouts, remember when summer camps were also a great teacher
    back when times were simpler ,

BCWF still has a great Kids program, and BOW for women, maybe they need to start one for beginner older boys/men
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by DirtFarmer View Post
    im on Vancouver island hunting Deer. It sounds like taking in my surroundings and trusting what I’m seeing is going to be a big part of being comfortable.
    Join a local orienteering club to learn the basic skills, then put them to use in bigger terrain.

you’re on the Island, so this is your club: https://vico.whyjustrun.ca/

NH3
    NFA, CCFR, BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    For me it was Cubs and then Boy Scouts, remember when summer camps were also a great teacher
    back when times were simpler ,

BCWF still has a great Kids program, and BOW for women, maybe they need to start one for beginner older boys/men
    I agree

I was born and raised on the island.
    I shot lots of blacktails. Never road hunted.
    Compass, gps unit and hunt the ridges above fresh cutblocks. Hunt in the rain is best. Island blacktails are different than mainland blacktails.
    Watch the wind and go slow.
    Hunting the promised land