Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Getting away from your truck

Re: Getting away from your truck

“I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”

A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

A problem with both GPS and map with compass, you have to know how to use them. They do no good if they are in your day pack but not used. You ask these questions 9 month late. Practice .

When you walk in the woods, be quiet. Jean are very noisy, I hear my partner walking and my hearing has been industrially damaged . That includes your boots. It's pretty tough to beat wool pants and runners. My runner are soft "hiking boots". But old canvas runner are best. My stetson will make noise when it brushes up against leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    I try to build a map in my mind when I walk in the bush. I always try to keep my internal compass so it’s got a back bearing on my exit point. Look backwards lots and memorize things, odd fungus in a tree, a rock outcrop, whatever is memorable. When you cross a creek, mark it in your mind, same thing with benches and other topographic markers. Mark your travel direction relative to the wind and sun and pay attention as they change. It takes concentration to do but it’s really rewarding to be able to navigate without a compass, map, or gps. I still carry all of them and flagging tape. Flat terrain on overcast still days can be easy to get turned around in. That’s happened a few times to me. When it does, you really have to have faith in your compass and map or gps and ignore you body telling you that you are going in the wrong direction. Learn to use a compass and estimate how far you travel in an hour on different terrain. There is nothing better than spending the day in the bush hunting or just bushwhacking, so get off the roads in situations where you know you can’t get lost like an area surrounded by roads. It is so rewarding to shoot an animal in the middle of the forest.
    I agree...the sun is my personal favorite navigation tool, and is the most dependable... it's also worthwhile learning the solar-watch method of navigation..

This is an area my dad showed me on northern Vancouver Island in the 1960s.

He would drive to a certain mile marker on logging road, park and then we'd walk North to a nearby river where he'd fallen a couple logs across for a bridge. After bushwhacking a short while we came to a series of meadows where we'd hunt for deer. Everywhere you went there were little pocket meadows, a patch of trees and then another meadow. After a few times I pretty much got the feel for the place but if I ever got turned around I knew if I went South by the compass I'd come to the river and then the road. I went back last year to have a look after not having been there since about 1980.

I wouldn't leave my vehicle and walk and camp in the bush in most of BC today.
    The only way I would do that would be with a rental with full coverage. And a sat phone!!
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Hunting on foot covering mile upon mile all day long serves little purpose, if you do it in an area with little to no game animals.

GPS etc are great, but even as simple as spending the summer and early fall scouting an area and get to know it better. Then come hunting season you'll be comfortable navigating around etc. GPS is nice to have, but I rarely use it...unless you're in a super remote area without many logging roads it's fairly tough to get lost...at least in my area anyways. In you're in a more remote area then GPS is a must, along with a long list of other things you'll need if you're way off the beaten path. I personally like to hike in before fits light and just sit and wait...then cover a little ground a couple hours after sun up.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    This is an area my dad showed me on northern Vancouver Island in the 1960s.

He would drive to a certain mile marker on logging road, park and then we'd walk North to a nearby river where he'd fallen a couple logs across for a bridge. After bushwhacking a short while we came to a series of meadows where we'd hunt for deer. Everywhere you went there were little pocket meadows, a patch of trees and then another meadow. After a few times I pretty much got the feel for the place but if I ever got turned around I knew if I went South by the compass I'd come to the river and then the road. I went back last year to have a look after not having been there since about 1980.

And how was the sign??? Was the log bridge still good? Any deer seen?
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    And how was the sign??? Was the log bridge still good? Any deer seen?
    No sign of the old log bridge or deer sign.

I feel more safe sitting in my pack in camp by a fire than I ever did in down town Chicago or LA.[/QUOTE]

Or in Surrey or Nanimo - Prince George or many other cities now ! RJ