Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Getting away from your truck

Re: Getting away from your truck

Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    For me it was Cubs and then Boy Scouts, remember when summer camps were also a great teacher
    back when times were simpler ,

BCWF still has a great Kids program, and BOW for women, maybe they need to start one for beginner older boys/men
    The First Rangers and Rainbow Country TV shows... Actually didn't learn to much but it got us kids out in the bush. Cut trails, built shelters, trapped squirrels. It was a half mile to school but 4+ miles home, as long as I got in the house before dad got home.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Forest Rangers maybe ?
    XNY 556 !

Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

My oldest joined air cadets this year. He’s been away to camp for a week already and it sounds like they’re learning a lot of this type of stuff too. Things like how to survive in a downed plane situation and navigate your way home. Only problem is it’s funded by the federal government and he might not be allowed in any more camps if he’s not vaccinated.

When you get out and wander first thing evaluate the terrain. Consider the big mountain you can see when heading up the next one over, that river, the valley bottom, etc. No expert on navigation here but it would be tough to get lost here in Region 2. Only managed to do that once briefly in old growth flats and fog.

One issue though.... you can have all the orientation, maps, gadgets, etc... waypoints probably the "best" but if you explore steep stuff, consider there are only so many feasible ways up and down things. Maybe you are hunting some benches and its getting dark... you try to take a direct'ish route... your sliding down on your bum holding saplings and branches here and there, next you know you're ledged up on a mossy cliff and its dark, gotta go back up and get down the right way, consider you might need to hunker down, pack for that so you're never worried or in a rush.... never rush

Flagging tape probably better than anything, even tracing back waypoints on a device, so long as you're good with coming back the same way or you are ok with it for a fail safe.

With all that in mind, just start with eyeballing an obvious bench above a cutblock... there will be a good deer trail up above so you can hang out and watch the cut and trail. Maybe you hike 30 yards in timber and 1km to that bench and deer trails above the cut. You won't get lost doing that, if you can see the cut the whole way, venture from there.

Roads, mountains, rivers, sounds of rivers, sun, etc... Map, compass, gps or phone with ihunter as a failsafe.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 08-28-2022 at 10:18 PM.

Often there is a main road or trail in your area. If you know it's overall long distance direction eg it's running roughly NW/SE ie. 315/135 and say you are in the bush NE of it, if you walk a bearing at right angles to the main road ie. SW or 225 degrees azimuth, sooner or later you will reach it if there are no insurmountable obstacles in the way.

Simple, common sense stuff like this.

Many subjects of SAR efforts are found to have been disoriented and choose to follow a creek drainage as it falls , hoping to get down to safety
    Many times these routes are choked out or lead to cliffs or impassable canyons where the subject gets stuck

If you don't know, don't go
    Best to stay put in a spot to be found easily
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by DirtFarmer View Post
    Wanting to hear from guys that know how to get out there and put boots on the ground. Most of my hunting is parking a truck in the morning darkness on a logging road waiting for day break. Getting impatient throughout the day and walking along road sides occasionally stepping off a few feet into the bush (all the while wishing I was hiking a ridge line or glassing a secluded bowl). My questions is about gaining confidence and knowledge about getting off the roads and into where the animals are. I know the quick answer is “get a gps app and walk into the bush” or “the animals are on the roads!”. Looking for more of a convo about the wilderness, how to or if you follow game trails and gaining the confidence of being in the woods without that nagging worry of getting lost.

thanks for the read,

Dirt

In the mountains it's pretty easy. If you see a ridge on the other side of the valley, go in the valley and up onto the ridge there.

AndAnd when you're done look back across to the other side of the valley where you started from and go back.

Last edited by MichelD; 09-07-2022 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtFarmer View Post
    Wanting to hear from guys that know how to get out there and put boots on the ground. Most of my hunting is parking a truck in the morning darkness on a logging road waiting for day break. Getting impatient throughout the day and walking along road sides occasionally stepping off a few feet into the bush (all the while wishing I was hiking a ridge line or glassing a secluded bowl). My questions is about gaining confidence and knowledge about getting off the roads and into where the animals are. I know the quick answer is “get a gps app and walk into the bush” or “the animals are on the roads!”. Looking for more of a convo about the wilderness, how to or if you follow game trails and gaining the confidence of being in the woods without that nagging worry of getting lost.

thanks for the read,

Dirt
    I'll add , get to know the area a little at a time . Not only will it help with your orientation but you will learn where the game are more likely to be.
    I always have more success in area's I know very well

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Ok thanks for pointing that out, can’t believe how wrong I was and how right you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I don't know why he always attacks me so vicously.

I try to build a map in my mind when I walk in the bush. I always try to keep my internal compass so it’s got a back bearing on my exit point. Look backwards lots and memorize things, odd fungus in a tree, a rock outcrop, whatever is memorable. When you cross a creek, mark it in your mind, same thing with benches and other topographic markers. Mark your travel direction relative to the wind and sun and pay attention as they change. It takes concentration to do but it’s really rewarding to be able to navigate without a compass, map, or gps. I still carry all of them and flagging tape. Flat terrain on overcast still days can be easy to get turned around in. That’s happened a few times to me. When it does, you really have to have faith in your compass and map or gps and ignore you body telling you that you are going in the wrong direction. Learn to use a compass and estimate how far you travel in an hour on different terrain. There is nothing better than spending the day in the bush hunting or just bushwhacking, so get off the roads in situations where you know you can’t get lost like an area surrounded by roads. It is so rewarding to shoot an animal in the middle of the forest.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

if you plan to come out the way you went in dont be shy to place some flag tape...i have a sharpie and will mark time and direction on the tape if it isnt raining...may help SAR if you have an emerg