Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS/Messenger

GPS/Messenger

Looking to get a new gps unit/satellite messenger unit. Trying to decide between the Zoleo, inReach mini, inReach Explorer+, Spot X. Anyone with an opinion as to a particular device? Does a guy get a combo unit like the InReach Explorer or just a stand alone like the Zoleo and just use your phone for gps functions?

Thanks

J

2. Site Sponsor

Re: GPS/Messenger

A year or so ago, I also wanted to get a satellite messenger. I wanted a messenger that I could share with my kids when they go camping.
    I emailed both Zoleo and Garmin and explained what I was wanting in a satellite messenger. Both replied quite quickly.
    Garmin said the inreach mini was really only meant to connect to one phone, and not to be shared with different users, they said you could end up with account problems when sharing it...
    Zoleo said it was no problem sharing the unit with different phones......So I bought a Zoleo messenger. By sharing the unit, it gets way more use then if I was the only user.
    I am quite happy with it, seems to work great, wife appreciates it too...

I ran a Spot for some years but found it to be less than reliable. Less reception, but the real kicker was quite a few messages that appeared to have been sent successfully were never actually received (by any of the phone numbers and emails)

I switched to the Inreach Explorer and never looked back. I have never had a message that was confirmed to be sent not received on the other side.

GPS navigation is good too. Built in topographic maps, accuracy within a few yards in thick steep timber with fog and cloud cover. When I hang trailcams in new areas and forget where I put them, my inReach takes me back to that tree no problem.

For GPS navigation, modern cell phones are better IMHO with an app like iHunter as you can get much better satellite and topo maps. If your phone has a real GPS, use the sat messenger device for messaging and phone for the GPS / maps, Inreach Explorer great for navigation, but I'd use it as a back up versus phone + iHunter

I think if I was in the market for one of these sort of devices I would consider going to one of the Iridium Transceiver units linked to my cel phone, you get the messaging possibilities of satellite through your linked cel phone which has GPS and mapping on it.

Not sure, as I have not seen one in person but they look like they would do the trick.

Here is a link to one such unit: https://satellitephonestore.com/cata...municator-4601

Be interesting to hear what you decide and how it works out for you...

Cheers and be well.../B
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

Bought our Son a Zoleos for Xmas, he loves it, easy to use, very reasonable prices for the "packages." It allows you a bit of "free" time to test out your contacts, emergency calls and such. He tried it out a few times during the spring bear hunt, found it easy to use. Very compact little unit.

DO NOT USE any device that uses global star comm. The rest are great!

I have an inreach mini 2
    .its awesome. I have 2 different phones i connect to it. Just not at the same time.

It works well and is 100%stand alone.you can message,track back, get weather.

I didnt even know i could message with my phone until after having it a month. After learning that it racked up the messages quick..its the same as texting..just make sure you use all 159 letters per message.

I got the second up monthly package. I can use 40 texts a month and unlimited presets and unlimited 10 minute tracking.

Worked flawlessly in Mt Edziza park. And i have a garmin 64 so i didnt bother with the explorer. The mini2 has crazy battery life

Still rockin' my Delorme InReach SE, (Garmin) and love it. Bought it 2014 and have yet to have a message fail to get through. Use it for remote logging sites and hunting mainly.

Pairing to a phone is a nice option, but I wouldn't forgo screen option as it's much easier on battery life, especially the phones. My SE will easily do a 14 day sheep hunt with over 50% battery left. That's on an 8-10 (combined in/out) message/day average at near the 160 character cap.

The 3 day localized weather forecast is a nice feature as well. I've found it to be as good as Environment Canada for accuracy.

Personally, I wouldn't pay extra for built in GPS as I carry a stand alone for that task and don't want to use battery life I might need for comms. Regardless, they all send your coordinates with your messages, so your contacts can find you on a map.

We are looking at getting a Garmin Montana 700i. My wife loves geocaching so it will get used for that a lot but also when out hunting it will come with us. It has inReach built into it also so we can get the best of both worlds.

Mr. Caddis How do I know if my phone has a real GPS ? How much is the iHunter app ?
    Thank You !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I ran a Spot for some years but found it to be less than reliable. Less reception, but the real kicker was quite a few messages that appeared to have been sent successfully were never actually received (by any of the phone numbers and emails)

I switched to the Inreach Explorer and never looked back. I have never had a message that was confirmed to be sent not received on the other side.

GPS navigation is good too. Built in topographic maps, accuracy within a few yards in thick steep timber with fog and cloud cover. When I hang trailcams in new areas and forget where I put them, my inReach takes me back to that tree no problem.

For GPS navigation, modern cell phones are better IMHO with an app like iHunter as you can get much better satellite and topo maps. If your phone has a real GPS, use the sat messenger device for messaging and phone for the GPS / maps, Inreach Explorer great for navigation, but I'd use it as a back up versus phone + iHunter
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !