Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Sheep

Hybrid View

Re: Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Exercises that improve explosiveness are good too (snatchs and cleans being two examples). Powerful legs are definitely important, thats why I do them twice a week weighted and then hiking every weekend
    Yes, that’s power training.
    The bulk of the lean muscle mass we lose as we get older is type 2 fast twitch muscle fiber. Type 1 fiber is easier to maintain with resistance training, think “old man strength”.
    But to maintain as much type 2 fibers for as long as possible requires power training. Olympic lifts, kettlebell ballistics, sprinting, etc.
    Olympic lifts are way too technical (therefore risky) for some of us, including me. So kettlebell ballistics and sprinting are perfect.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 05-10-2024 at 11:50 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Some good info there Mod7...

Continuing with my 40 pound pack hiking sheep program. I'm trying out a few different sock manufactures kind of leaning towards kenetrek as my first choice then smart wool merino socks lastly my icebreaker socks.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    Continuing with my 40 pound pack hiking sheep program. I'm trying out a few different sock manufactures kind of leaning towards kenetrek as my first choice then smart wool merino socks lastly my icebreaker socks.
    Try a sock liner. After many 2000 ft climbs last summer in prep for sheep, I was trying various sock set ups and the best was always a sock liner and a pair of darn toughs.

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    Try a sock liner. After many 2000 ft climbs last summer in prep for sheep, I was trying various sock set ups and the best was always a sock liner and a pair of darn toughs.
    Any Particular sock liner?
    I too like the Darn Tough!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    Any Particular sock liner?
    I too like the Darn Tough!
    I use a merino blend one. It's at the house so I forgot the name. It has some venting by the toes. Light and allows the foot to float a bit in the boot and pulls the moisture.

Both my buddy and I had zero issues on our sheep hunt. Only thing I'd consider is a stiffer boot for side hilling. That was rough.

I use a pair of meshy socks inside my merino wool outers. I have never had any foot issues. Iuse the same socks when I'm cycling, so if you're looking for some, a bike shop might be a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    I have used liners but not comfortable for me. I have great boots and hardly ever get a blister. Just looking at whats out on the market for socks.

Thanks for the replies gentleman. I'll take a look at a bike shop. If there is a recommended brand, let me know. Socks are so important and I like the idea of trying a liner vs my current setup which is just doubling up socks.