Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firearms and Wildfires

Firearms and Wildfires

I sat down with senior wildfire officer of the costal fire center Alan Berry and discussed human caused fires from firearms. After last years fires, they are taking a very proactive approach to sharing preventative information and will be touring gun clubs and organizations to help spread the word.

Download anywhere you consume your podcasts or watch on YouTube.

Silvercore Podcast 130

https://youtu.be/5mpNVkyilm4
    Last edited by Silvercore; 05-14-2024 at 04:04 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Firearms and Wildfires

It's 55 mins long -- is there a summary?

Quote Originally Posted by zero64 View Post
    Something like “don’t shoot Tannerite in a grassy meadow in August”?

If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Something like “don’t shoot Tannerite in a grassy meadow in August”?

and not chucking a cigarette on the way out of said meadow ��

...make sure your ATV and/or Motorbike have a spark arrestor....

Quote Originally Posted by zero64 View Post
    If you listen to it at 2x playback speed, it’s half that
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

its is very sparse on actual information with context . The study partially cited is a controlled study on impact ignition on a steel plate into directed into dry moss . https://www.fs.usda.gov/research/tre...0these%20tests. The speaker referenced 11 or 12 in bc but gave no citations or case information . in the US with far more shooters and far more access to ammunitioin to shoot civilians cause less than 1/10 of a percent of human caused fires . Even with the claim 11or 12 direct or indirectly firearm caused fires that is less than 2/10ths of a percent for the human caused 609 fires attributed to human causes in 2023. https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...7971122200100X
    Last edited by Sausage; 05-15-2024 at 06:56 PM.

I mean lol let us not pussyfoot and shy away from what they are implying and where this will go, one more excuse the big goal here no guns and zero countryside use. Period.

Lol fvck them

By the title I assumed it was “don’t take your guns if you evacuate from fire”

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    I mean lol let us not pussyfoot and shy away from what they are implying and where this will go, one more excuse the big goal here no guns and zero countryside use. Period.

Lol fvck them
    I asked them this question point blank and was assured it wasn't the case. There are others who advised I not have this discussion on the Silvercore Podcast as they feared it would be used as fuel to introduce more restrictions. I have a different take and feel that, regardless of the governments intention, sticking our heads in the sand is not the best approach. If future restrictions on firearms, types of ammunition or types of targets (steel, binary exploding etc..) are to result from any public safety and / or fire reduction practices, they should be analyzed and weighed for their merit.

If target shooting in the woods does present a fire risk worthy of introducing restrictions, the firearms community should have the opportunity to assess those risks, educate the community and amend their target shooting practices to prevent issues. If target shooting in the woods results in a statistically insignificant or improbable risk of fires, again the community should be provided the opportunity to assess those facts and present them to any policy maker. This is a situation where I only saw benefits to the shooting community and public in general by having information out early so the conversation could be had properly.