Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many grizzlies are being killed?

How many grizzlies are being killed?

The grizzly bear hunt was ended in BC, anybody have any idea of the effect that has had on all cause mortality of grizzly bears? Hunters aren't killing them but has car/train collisions increased? Does BC even have such stats?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How many grizzlies are being killed?

The real question is how many the CO's are killing and how many problem bears are being shot by the general public and not being reported.

There was just a public engagement session not that long ago that had a lot of the info you are asking for. Im not going to dig it up again...we need hunters to get involved. Educate yourself.

The biggest issue with people in general is they want instant gratification rather than simply putting in a bit of effort. Its all out there for your consumption.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Everett View Post
    The real question is how many the CO's are killing and how many problem bears are being shot by the general public and not being reported.

That's absolutely a good question and part of overall human caused mortality.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Go read Grizzly Bear Science an amazing book about G bears in BC written by a first class scientist. He goes into depth on causes of mortality. Knows more about bears than anyone I’ve ever met or worked with. Bios I’ve worked with all defer to him.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    Go read Grizzly Bear Science an amazing book about G bears in BC written by a first class scientist. He goes into depth on causes of mortality. Knows more about bears than anyone I’ve ever met or worked with. Bios I’ve worked with all defer to him.
    Hadnt heard of that book but it’s by who I thought you were referring to….Bruce McLellan.
    He’s great.

https://www.indigo.ca/en-ca/grizzly-...771605656.html
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I bumped into a ranch hand Reg 5, 2 years back, she told me to shoot those Fkrs no ifs and or butts. The transplants she said are taking calves as soon as they drop. If she's not alone her thoughts!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Talked to rancher in reg 5 few years ago and said basically the same thing

How many are being killed…….not enough!!

I think the angst against grizzly is unfounded. Grizzlies are not behind every tree waiting to attack a hunter. its a rarity that hunters are attacked and its usually for a predictable situation such as getting too close to or finding yourself between the sow and cubs or you come onto a grizz that is defending its kill. Most cases an encounter ends with the grizzlies not wanting to engage and taking off. ive been in that situation countless times in the backcountry . Certainly you have to be aware when your packing your meat out and returning for another load considering a grizzly has a sense of smell that is at least 7 times that of a blood hound and 2000 times what ours is. instances of grizzlies stalking humans for food is extremely rare. As i stated above most of the attacks are defensive and over quickly.
    Last edited by stoneramhunter; 05-11-2024 at 07:42 PM.