Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheep

Re: Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Beauty ram posted above there SRH... hey whats your opinion on the 243 for deer, would it be considered a little light for big mule deer etc? I'm thinking of getting one for my 11 year old son, I'm assuming the kick etc would be the easiest to manage for a centre-fire..
    .243 is a great deer cartridge. shot quite a few and seen quite a few taken with one. Also seen quite a few moose die to a .243

Beauty ram posted above there SRH... hey whats your opinion on the 243 for deer, would it be considered a little light for big mule deer etc? I'm thinking of getting one for my 11 year old son, I'm assuming the kick etc would be the easiest to manage for a centre-fire..
    There’s been a couple threads on here about the 6arc and 6.5 Grendel. I think either would be good for any size mule deer at reasonable distances. I know of one moose shot with a Grendel. I have my sights set on a howa mini action in one of these cartridges whenever I can get to a store to handle a couple different models. I think the 243 win is a big case for a 6mm.

I ended up buying a browning youth model in 6mm creedmoor for my kid. It has a brake on it and stock spacers to add as he grows. I had to look all over Canada for this rifle and ended up with someone answering a wtb ad for a store with no website and the guy had seen it on the shelf the day before. Browning also issued a 50% off of a full sized stock that’s good for five years if I decide to change it up. As TODD BARTELL told me the 6 creed has similar performance as the 243, but usually has a faster twist for running the heavier bullets. 6 creed bullets were hard to find when I bought it, but they seem fairly mainstream now, or at least at the canadian tire downtown.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    Decker9 reaching out to see if your planning a sheep hunt this year and if so is your kid going as well? i used to take my son in when he was young shot his first ram with a 243
    We are in the planning, flight date is booked. My daughter is pretty determined she’s coming alright, but I’m a bit sceptical on this trip, mostly because of the duration, we have 15 days booked, I think it would be quite a bit for her still. Iv found the 5-6-7 day trips she quite enjoys so far, so I think we’ll do a hike in together later on and hopefully a goat trip or two.

For as tough as she is, she’s still not taking to centerfire shooting. We tried a youth .243 with reduced loads, now have a 6.5 Grendel in a howa mini with reduced loads, she shot it twice, both times she didn’t take to it well. Iv recently picked up a bubba’d model 70 .222 rem that I’ll trim the stock on and reduce some loads for her to try. Iv no idea where this fear of loud bangs or light recoil comes from, but I don’t want to push it with the bigger cartridges quite yet. She’s grown close to 2” over the winter though, so maybe her management to recoil and muzzle blast has too. We’ll be trying out this .222 in the next little bit here, I think once she can warm up to it, the reduced loaded Grendel shouldn’t be to much further off.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    We are in the planning, flight date is booked. My daughter is pretty determined she’s coming alright, but I’m a bit sceptical on this trip, mostly because of the duration, we have 15 days booked, I think it would be quite a bit for her still. Iv found the 5-6-7 day trips she quite enjoys so far, so I think we’ll do a hike in together later on and hopefully a goat trip or two.

For as tough as she is, she’s still not taking to centerfire shooting. We tried a youth .243 with reduced loads, now have a 6.5 Grendel in a howa mini with reduced loads, she shot it twice, both times she didn’t take to it well. Iv recently picked up a bubba’d model 70 .222 rem that I’ll trim the stock on and reduce some loads for her to try. Iv no idea where this fear of loud bangs or light recoil comes from, but I don’t want to push it with the bigger cartridges quite yet. She’s grown close to 2” over the winter though, so maybe her management to recoil and muzzle blast has too. We’ll be trying out this .222 in the next little bit here, I think once she can warm up to it, the reduced loaded Grendel shouldn’t be to much further off.
    Awesome are you going for stones? if so region 6 or 7. I'm in my get ready work out mode lol need to start now to be ready for sheep season. Awesome your daughter is into hunting Although my son whos's in his 30's hunts he has no appetite for hunting sheep he sticks to elk and deer. oh well not everyone gets the sheep bug that never goes away'")") I have two sheep hunts this year. A hunt with my buddy and his young son who' s going for a grand slam thats impressive for a kid to do and i have a second hunt solo in region 7

Awesome are you going for stones? if so region 6 or 7. I'm in my get ready work out mode lol need to start now to be ready for sheep season. Awesome your daughter is into hunting Although my son whos's in his 30's hunts he has no appetite for hunting sheep he sticks to elk and deer. oh well not everyone gets the sheep bug that never goes away'")") I have two sheep hunts this year. A hunt with my buddy and his young son who' s going for a grand slam thats impressive for a kid to do and i have a second hunt solo in region 7
    Awesome stuff! Hopefully he can finish it off with a slammer of a stone! My partner and I will be flying into reg 7 again for opener. If my daughter and I do a hike in later in the season, we may head up to the alaska Hwy, we have in-laws in fsj so would probably be a visit trip with a 5-7 day sheep hunt in there too if I can find a buddy to come along, kinda needs to be a second rifle along I think. My lady would normally come but were hoping she’ll have a bun in the oven vs a pack on her back this year.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    Awesome stuff! Hopefully he can finish it off with a slammer of a stone! My partner and I will be flying into reg 7 again for opener. If my daughter and I do a hike in later in the season, we may head up to the alaska Hwy, we have in-laws in fsj so would probably be a visit trip with a 5-7 day sheep hunt in there too if I can find a buddy to come along, kinda needs to be a second rifle along I think. My lady would normally come but were hoping she’ll have a bun in the oven vs a pack on her back this year.
    Have to check but i think the kid is either going to do the dall first and then stone or vice versa depending on school. Then heads to mexico for a desert followed by big horn last

a tiny ram to pass the day

I shot two Deer every year from 12 years old through my teens with a .243, 10 and 11 years old I used a .222 they work great

a tiny ram to pass the day

Great pic wow.......

Hey thanks for the replies all on the 243 and sorry to derail the thread..