Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheep

Re: Sheep

another 2 mile hike today with a 20 pound pack and some incline. Thinking of hitting Spences Bridge to hike and pan for a little gold at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    another 2 mile hike today with a 20 pound pack and some incline. Thinking of hitting Spences Bridge to hike and pan for a little gold at the same time
    Awesome! I would be appreciative if you posted some pics so I could live vicariously while I'm stuck at the job site.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln

east of trench ram
    Beautiful!
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln

east of trench ram
    east of trench ram--- nope haha
    musha rain dum a doo dum a da,,yeah

Decker9 reaching out to see if your planning a sheep hunt this year and if so is your kid going as well? i used to take my son in when he was young shot his first ram with a 243

Beauty ram posted above there SRH... hey whats your opinion on the 243 for deer, would it be considered a little light for big mule deer etc? I'm thinking of getting one for my 11 year old son, I'm assuming the kick etc would be the easiest to manage for a centre-fire..

243 should work great for deer…personally I’d go with a bigger caliber that he’ll be able to use on all big game as he gets older, like one of the 6.5’s or 7-08.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Beauty ram posted above there SRH... hey whats your opinion on the 243 for deer, would it be considered a little light for big mule deer etc? I'm thinking of getting one for my 11 year old son, I'm assuming the kick etc would be the easiest to manage for a centre-fire..
    i got the gun for my son which was recommended by a friend because of light kick i’m not up much on calibre knowledge but he did take a few deer with it. i can say nothing was shot over 150 yds. he was 10 at the time. nowadays i’m sure there’s other options but for an inexpensive rifle his 243 worked ok

i shot a 30” wide mule deer with a giant body at 200y and he went tumbling down the hill on impact with a 85 grain fusion … awesome deer caliber

I went through this process back in 2021 when picking a cartridge for my daughter (10 at the time) to shoot. The venerable .243 win was high on the list, heck, I even had (well, still have) a rem 700 mtn rifle sitting in the safe for this very purpose. After careful consideration I went with a Weatherby Vanguard compact in 7-08. The reasons: I didn't want to cut the stock on the 700 to shorten the LOP and the 7-08 rem is a much more versatile cartridge. One can load 100 gr varmint rounds for plinking/predators and on up to 150/160's if you want to for big game. It will kill a moose without much issue when using a stout bullet and crush coyotes/ground squirrels...Very similiar powder capacity as the .243 and 7-08 share the same parent cartridge so basically the same recoil when using 100 grain bullets.

I started her off shooting a Sierra 100 gr HP in front of a charge of BL-C(2), recoil wasn't a problem at all. She hunted with a 110 gr Barnes ttsx load that fall. I have since moved her hunting load up to a Barnes 120 gr TTSX BT with a stout load of H4895 behind it...The only thing I need to do this summer is put the spacer block back in to lengthen the LOP a bit!

'rifle
    Nearly all people can stand adversity, but if you want to test a person's character, give them power.