Thread: Another dumb question from this newbie

Another dumb question from this newbie

Hello Everyone,

Well the season is getting closer and closer by the minute, Bow only starts on the 25th and am looking forward to getting out there.
    My Big Game setup is going to be my new Bulldog 440 shooting 330gr Zombie Slayers and 125gr 1”in Tooth of the arrow S-Series Total weight 455gr and Scope is set for 415fps and its shooting amazing.
    Getting about ¾”in grouping at 20 and 30 yrd and just over 1 ½”in at 40 so very happy and hope my luck is good out there this year hoping for a nice bear and some deer.
    But hear is my question I would also like to try for some smaller game like Rabbit and Grouse utilizing some small game heads, I’m thinking this is extreme overkill using this setup.
    That being said I also have My first bow a Grz2 and can use the original arrows that came with the bulldog roughly 350gr total with 100gr small game head and dial that in.
    Last time I used it I was getting 1 ½”in groups at 30yds but I’m not as proficient with the Grz2 as I find it very small for me and difficult to get proper eye relief and length of pull,
    So my question which would you choose risk using a bow that your accuracy isn’t what you would like to see or hit the animal with a flying log and risk amount of usable meat???
    I know this seems like of a dumb question but I would have just used a firearm .22 or .410 if it wasn’t taking so long to get my PAL back its been almost 11 months and now cant even get a real person to check, guess doing my RPAL and PAL at the same time has bit me in the @ss and looks like this season is a wash for bird hunting
    Hope every one has a great start to their season and thank you in advance for any advice

Jay
    “The wise man is one who, knows, what he does not know.”
    Lao Tzu.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    Albert Einstein
    “Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else.”
    Leonardo da Vinci

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Another dumb question from this newbie

Sounds like you're packing a crossbow. The 'first' set up you mention might be a better choice although I have no idea what kind of bow it is. Judo point arrowhead is what you want as it won't fly to the moon on you if you miss. I used a traditional recurve bow with judo point to take this quail at about 7 meters. I make sure to practice with field points that are the same weight as my hunting tips, whether they're broadheads or the small game judo points. That way there should be little to no variation in how the arrow flies.

This is my recurve hunting set up. I haven't taken a big game animal yet, but I enjoy stumbling around during the bow season with it. Fleetwood take down recurve with 50# limbs which I draw to a couple pounds above the legal weight of 45#.
    Last edited by mike31154; 08-21-2022 at 01:23 PM.