Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: South thompson chinook

Re: South thompson chinook

Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    how where the crowds where you fishin today??,,,only me and 2 other guys today,,thought more peeps woulda been out today
    6 guys on land, 4 boats and 9 people anchored in front of us.. boats caught 1 fish and lost 1 fish.
    I was the only one to catch fish of the 6, they really are being finicky this year and they wanted what I had.
    Working on doing some more up now so I can share some the next couple times I’m there if it’s still working..
    there’s one guy in a boat that’s been out there every single day since season opened for 8 hours from legal fishing onward and he’s only managed to hook a singular fish and lost it at the boat.. not a great year for a lot of people.

im not sure what was caught later ofc and the guys not catching were using dodgers 6” and FSTs
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 09-06-2022 at 07:08 PM.

Zero fish today in 5 hours, not even a bite for anyone on shore… but the boats out in front of us caught 3 between 4 boats and 6 people..

so, still hit or miss it seems and only 2 weeks to go.

Are you bottom bouncing or bar fishing.

Aim small,,miss small

we got the sockeye opening,,,awesome
    Aim small,,miss small

Just as I took a dispatch to kitimat starting wednesday for a few months. Damn! Thats just the way she goes bud.... At least coho should be in full swing up there I think or maybe a bit late? I got out to lilloeet for a few days last week and got a few socks. Fishing was not as banging as I was hoping it would be. Again that's just the way she goes bud...I went out this morning to the banana island hole. Buddy Steve I met caught a pretty dark 8lb doe. Guys at the end of the bar got a few real nice ones though. I had one on early like 7:30 got off before I got a look but it felt like like a jack. four squawfish and no springs. I'm going to head back tomorrow evening if I can make some time. I will try to convince the ol lady to come and fish a bar rig.

Aim small,,miss small

DFO extended salmon season
    Aim small,,miss small

Back in mid July I spent several days cruising the big and little holes in Little Shuswap lake and I saw a lot of fish that I presumed to be early run chinook. This is repeatable year after year. My new outboard engine developed a fuel/vapourizer leak and was out of commission nearly a month getting the part so I was unable to track the peak or decline of this run.
    When I got back to the water, it was opening day for chinook in the South Thompson river up to the green can buoy in LSL. Needless to say, the fish on the sonar screen were sparse. Far and few between. My neighbour and I went out several times, pulled plug and spoon, with and without flasher. Of course, fishing in LSL is a synchronized event with as many as two dozen boats cruising the big hole which really is not all that big. The nice thing is that you get to see when someone catches a fish. That nice thing was once in the few times I went out.
    The local indigenous group employ a commercial netter and they lay a few sets out covering the two narrow channels the fish use exiting the river. I cannot remember when this fishing method started but it was within the last 5 or 6 years. Before that, locals, if inclined would spread their own. This system is also deployed on Kamloops lake and probably to a greater extent than here on LSL.
    I watched the group pull their nets here a few times and they were not hauling fish in, one or two here or there. (Apparently they are doing better with the sockeye now.)
    The real testament to how crappy the fishing was would be my neighbour that resides behind me. He and his wife went out 25 of the 38 days that were open. Their hours were usually 5-6 hours at a time, much like mine and everyone else. Anyhow, my neighbour and wife only managed 6 fish in that entire time. For the rest of us, it was an exercise in futility and a waste of the licence cost.
    Before the commercials became involved, the fishing was much better.
    Oh, DFO’s presence was none to be seen. Usually they would zoom up river in their jet boat or fly overhead, but I didn’t see them then or now.
    This is the Adam’s river peak year. The last great run was in 2010, 2014 and 2018 were greatly diminished by comparison.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Back in mid July I spent several days cruising the big and little holes in Little Shuswap lake and I saw a lot of fish that I presumed to be early run chinook. This is repeatable year after year. My new outboard engine developed a fuel/vapourizer leak and was out of commission nearly a month getting the part so I was unable to track the peak or decline of this run.
    When I got back to the water, it was opening day for chinook in the South Thompson river up to the green can buoy in LSL. Needless to say, the fish on the sonar screen were sparse. Far and few between. My neighbour and I went out several times, pulled plug and spoon, with and without flasher. Of course, fishing in LSL is a synchronized event with as many as two dozen boats cruising the big hole which really is not all that big. The nice thing is that you get to see when someone catches a fish. That nice thing was once in the few times I went out.
    The local indigenous group employ a commercial netter and they lay a few sets out covering the two narrow channels the fish use exiting the river. I cannot remember when this fishing method started but it was within the last 5 or 6 years. Before that, locals, if inclined would spread their own. This system is also deployed on Kamloops lake and probably to a greater extent than here on LSL.
    I watched the group pull their nets here a few times and they were not hauling fish in, one or two here or there. (Apparently they are doing better with the sockeye now.)
    The real testament to how crappy the fishing was would be my neighbour that resides behind me. He and his wife went out 25 of the 38 days that were open. Their hours were usually 5-6 hours at a time, much like mine and everyone else. Anyhow, my neighbour and wife only managed 6 fish in that entire time. For the rest of us, it was an exercise in futility and a waste of the licence cost.
    Before the commercials became involved, the fishing was much better.
    Oh, DFO’s presence was none to be seen. Usually they would zoom up river in their jet boat or fly overhead, but I didn’t see them then or now.
    This is the Adam’s river peak year. The last great run was in 2010, 2014 and 2018 were greatly diminished by comparison.

not sure what you’re talking about tbh
    maybe try something besides the same 3 baits everyone uses
    myself and the guys I fish with all limited out, it was definitely a slower start to the year with fish only trickling in throughout august but each and every one of us limited out, hell I probably caught at least 15 I hooked and let other people fight and keep… the fishing was good for those willing to try something different… not cut plugs and dodgers like every other soul on the system.

Your neighbours must have just napped most of their time fishing and didn’t really fish, that’s the only way I can see them not doing well.

every single of the 10+ fisherman I had the pleasure to fish with throughout this season hit their limit by the time they quit.

lots of 20lb fish, a couple 30lb fish… but most surprisingly lots of jacks! Myself I had 4 between 40-50cm. Twice we were able to go home with our limit of adults and jacks.
    longest we ever fished was until 9am starting at legal fishing time.
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 09-26-2022 at 07:25 AM.