Thread: Bison Hunting 742 Zone C Earlier Date Oct 1-15

Bison Hunting 742 Zone C Earlier Date Oct 1-15

Hey Guy's

Been reading a lot about Bison hunting since getting this draw. Lots of good information about later in the season trips but not much about the early season.

Is it feasible to get into the Bison with out snowmobile access? I have an ATV but understand I am limited to the trails.
    I am most confortable shooting my 270 WSM is this gun going to be big enough our am I going to need something bigger?

Can anybody recommend a guide who might be able to setup this trip? My wife is part of the group and so we have two animals. If there are any guides interested in trading, I would be willing to trade a guided fishing trip next summer at my place in Winter harbour for a guided bison hunt....

CPM

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bison Hunting 742 Zone C Earlier Date Oct 1-15

Quote Originally Posted by PartyMarty View Post
    Hey Guy's

Been reading a lot about Bison hunting since getting this draw. Lots of good information about later in the season trips but not much about the early season.

Is it feasible to get into the Bison with out snowmobile access? I have an ATV but understand I am limited to the trails.
    I am most confortable shooting my 270 WSM is this gun going to be big enough our am I going to need something bigger?

Can anybody recommend a guide who might be able to setup this trip? My wife is part of the group and so we have two animals. If there are any guides interested in trading, I would be willing to trade a guided fishing trip next summer at my place in Winter harbour for a guided bison hunt....

CPM
    The only help I can offer is I don’t think your 270 is legally up to the task.

“Rifles must fire a minimum 175 grain bullet which retains 2800 joules (2000 foot pounds) or more energy at 100 meters. That energy will be of best use if you get close to your selected bison before shooting. If you are unsure of the ballistic characteristics of your particular rifle and ammunition, the ammunition manufacturers publish them and most retailers will have the tables for your reference.”

looks like a couple of the .308 175grain bullets barely squeak by the legal minimum, so that’s your starting point and beyond.

example,

Federals 30 cal 175 grain Terminal Ascent bullet is holding 2299ft lbs of energy at 100 yards out of a 22” barrel.
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 08-11-2022 at 10:10 AM.

All of Zone C is beyond the vehicle allowed area and ATV's are not allowed in the area even if on the main trail. Zone D has limited ATV access but vehicles have to be under 750kg and you have to stay on the main trail. Your only options are to backpack or use horses to get into the area as there will not be enough snow to use snow machines at that time of the year. There is a guide outfitter in the area, 'Sikanni River Ranch'. They used to offer deals to residents (~$5K) who have drawn a tag but I'm not sure if they still do after changing ownership in 2020.

I drew a tag for zone D at the same time as you. You are best calling up Sikanni River Ranch if you are looking for a guided type hunt, they still do offer packages for resident hunters that draw a bison tag however, I believe they are booked up for our time period. You will need horses to get back to where the bison are in your zone but the odds are much better for you to connect with a herd over zone D.

Good luck

I had your zone and time frame draw, back a few years ago when the zones first changed. That zone is hiking or horses only in October. The weather is unpredictable at that time of year but the chance of enough snow for a snowmobile is unlikely.
    Also 175gr or larger bullet rule definitely applies to bison.
    I suggest you read up on the regulations for bison and download the leh regulations for your hunting area. You don't want to lose your vehicle, gear and hunting privileges because you didn't follow the rules....