Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Straight or curved spotter?

Re: Straight or curved spotter?

Angled for all the reasons noted and way easier to use at the Range off a bench.

Straight has definite advantages when up in the rocks and cliffs peering over boulders and terrain while hiding
    Have never had an issue with neck troubles after years with a straight scope, maybe that is conditioning

If you're always at the bottom peering up, angled is better
    also allows for a lower tripod height if you can get situated over top enough to look down into the eyepiece
    angled can be better for working from the truck seat with a window mount too
    angled can be better for range use with the proper bench tripod
    Last edited by high horse Hal; 08-11-2022 at 08:16 AM.
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Like most gear it’s best to try both in the field and see what you think. Drop by my place anytime before Aug 22nd (my son will be taking my straight spotter guiding) and we’ll have both set up and we’ll spot for sheeps in your zone from my front deck.
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

Quote Originally Posted by BCbillies View Post
    Have both and prefer the angled for glassing. My straight is very compact and light so has its place.
    This on both accounts

Angled for sure straight if you have a tall tripod or glossing off a vehical

I think it's all in the tripod.
    If you can establish a good and steady position with the tripod either will do the same thing.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Straight for me. Spend most of my glassing time up high and prefer the straight when glassing horizontally or down.

Curved all day. Way easier on the neck

Angled is more ergonomic for me, and I have and like one that rotates 360* around the attachment point. That feature allows you to "periscope" with the objective lens protruding out past he side of a boulder that is hiding you and movement from your quarry's eyes. Also use it on a window mount from your truck seat at times too.

My partner had the cheapest vortex model and I own a razor, both angled. I can’t see the need for a straight model.

We both had a hard time finding landmarks through the cheap one and thought it was because of the angle, but it’s absolutely no problem through the razor. From my experience I’d say glass quality has more to do with finding stuff than angle.