Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3-30 how’s the blow down?

3-30 how’s the blow down?

Hey Guys,

Has anyone done any hiking in the 3-30 area? How is blow down after the fire, I know it’s about 5 years old now and just wondering if it is still manoeuvrable or not. Has anyone had boots on the ground this year in that area?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 3-30 how’s the blow down?

that was one of the first areas i ever hunted here in BC (the plateau between loon and bonaparte)...i have been tempted to drive up and have a look at how it has recovered from the fire but i now have a different place for MD so no reason to go up there now even though i know my area inside and out (where they like to be and where they like to travel)...Most of the area i hunted was strip cut into at least 3 or 4 age classes so most of it would have had very little for big wood to blow down after the fire..
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 08-10-2022 at 09:37 AM.

The blow down was way worse when the beetle took hold quite a few years ago now, and within 2 or 3 years, a lot of timber was affected and then one year a bad wind storm hit whole hunting in November and the next morning we had to cut a couple of dozen trees to get back out.
    Overall, blow down isn’t bad due to fire, imo.
    Most of the timber stayed standing where I go..
    Wash outs are the biggest problem going foreword now.

Windthrow or falling trees takes longer after fires because the burnt trees get hardened to rot (vs post beetle) and their is not crown to catch wind. Once the roots rot out they start falling over. Maybe 7-15 years post fire. Depends on the tree species, fire severity, and location. Some can last for hundreds of years. I’ve seen cedar still standing that were burned over a 100 years ago.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

Quote Originally Posted by boonerbucks View Post
    Hey Guys,

Has anyone done any hiking in the 3-30 area? How is blow down after the fire, I know it’s about 5 years old now and just wondering if it is still manoeuvrable or not. Has anyone had boots on the ground this year in that area?
    Spent 6 days there in April, hiking all day each day was not bad at all where I was.

most of the biggest trees in the area i was referring to were in rough shape with lots of root and heart wood rot before the fire went through...
    Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    Windthrow or falling trees takes longer after fires because the burnt trees get hardened to rot (vs post beetle) and their is not crown to catch wind. Once the roots rot out they start falling over. Maybe 7-15 years post fire. Depends on the tree species, fire severity, and location. Some can last for hundreds of years. I’ve seen cedar still standing that were burned over a 100 years ago.

When you get by Boneparte Lake the blowdown is horrible but then in other areas such as Loon it's not so bad?
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

real bad where i was. Lots of downed and criss-crossed poles making waist-high obstacles.

The knee-high stuff isn't bad, until you get 8-10" of snow .... then its camoflauged and sucks a lot as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    The blow down was way worse when the beetle took hold quite a few years ago now, and within 2 or 3 years, a lot of timber was affected and then one year a bad wind storm hit whole hunting in November and the next morning we had to cut a couple of dozen trees to get back out.
    Overall, blow down isn’t bad due to fire, imo.
    Most of the timber stayed standing where I go..

Wash outs are the biggest problem going foreword now.
    agreed…once the beetle took over it was like pickup sticks, brutal to try to traverse some of the areas. I’ve been hunting up there for 35 years and it was awesome to still hunt prior to that. It is better than it was but still tough slugging in some areas.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    real bad where i was. Lots of downed and criss-crossed poles making waist-high obstacles.

The knee-high stuff isn't bad, until you get 8-10" of snow .... then its camoflauged and sucks a lot as well!
    Yes, there was one area I tackled because I wanted to get to another hill/mtn, and I regretted trying to traverse it, and they did lay every which way and all laying at about waist high (forgot about that day), but again, in this case it wasn’t due to fire but beetle.