Thread: Loon Lake

Re: Loon Lake

I would go with a longer leader Arctic Lake

I’m using a 6 footer attached to the leaded line
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    I would go with a longer leader Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I grew up fishing Loon Lake, though we were at the other end staying at White Moose Resort and we'd go up in early June and again around Thanksgiving.

We primarily trolled with flies. A type 3 full sink and a small gold bead pheasant tail nymph was our go to, though Doc Spratelys did well at times. A pregnant shrimp pattern could be dynamite at the right time as the trout in that lake feed heavily on scuds/shrimp.

For gear, we would put an inline torpedo weight above a swivel, then a 3 or 4 foot leader to a flatfish in either black speckled, skunk or frog pattern.

Follow the shoreline, right along the drop offs. A sounder is a huge help. Go deeper when the water is warm in summer.

We used lead line a couple times and it never produced well for us. Flies outfished gear 3:1 for us, and monofilament with the torpedo weight/flatfish combo outfished leadline at least 2:1. We gave up on willow leaf style flashers within a season or two of learning to fish, so we only spent one season with them on Loon. I don't even have them in my boxes anymore.
    Last edited by FlyingHigh; 08-11-2022 at 07:41 AM.
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

FlyingHigh Thanks fir the detailed reply . Last day today so we get some fish . I got a keeper yesterday on a green fly don’t ask me what it was as I’m not a fly fisherman and at this point not a gear gut either LOL . Will try some of your suggestions .
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHigh View Post
    I grew up fishing Loon Lake, though we were at the other end staying at White Moose Resort and we'd go up in early June and again around Thanksgiving.

We primarily trolled with flies. A type 3 full sink and a small gold bead pheasant tail nymph was our go to, though Doc Spratelys did well at times. A pregnant shrimp pattern could be dynamite at the right time as the trout in that lake feed heavily on scuds/shrimp.

For gear, we would put an inline torpedo weight above a swivel, then a 3 or 4 foot leader to a flatfish in either black speckled, skunk or frog pattern.

Follow the shoreline, right along the drop offs. A sounder is a huge help. Go deeper when the water is warm in summer.

We used lead line a couple times and it never produced well for us. Flies outfished gear 3:1 for us, and monofilament with the torpedo weight/flatfish combo outfished leadline at least 2:1. We gave up on willow leaf style flashers within a season or two of learning to fish, so we only spent one season with them on Loon. I don't even have them in my boxes anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    FlyingHigh Thanks fir the detailed reply . Last day today so we get some fish . I got a keeper yesterday on a green fly don’t ask me what it was as I’m not a fly fisherman and at this point not a gear gut either LOL . Will try some of your suggestions .
    Arctic Lake
    Not problem. Glad you at least got one! Best of luck out there. Even though it's changed alot and it's been quite awhile since I've been back, Loon Lake holds a special place in my heart.
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

Good to hear you have fond memories of Loon ! Today we got 4 more using a yellow slug coloured flatfish , black fly .
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHigh View Post
    Not problem. Glad you at least got one! Best of luck out there. Even though it's changed alot and it's been quite awhile since I've been back, Loon Lake holds a special place in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Good to hear you have fond memories of Loon ! Today we got 4 more using a yellow slug coloured flatfish , black fly .
    Arctic Lake
    Great! I've heard Loon does fish a lot slower in summer, so that could explain the tougher fishing for you too.
    "Good" - Jocko Willink

Artic : it’s called FISHING not CATCHING. Good LUCK ! RJ

Hey RJ ! Yes your right about that LOL ! Relaxing few days here .
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Artic : it’s called FISHING not CATCHING. Good LUCK ! RJ

just out of hospital missed the start of this..warm water lowers o2 fish prefer thermocline depth = high o2 dissolved..so hot water sends them away from shallow shore life to deeper cool water..HOWEVER to feed they will head to shallower water late in the afternoon..evening..low light and lower temp..the drop of shore ward is the food zone..fishing zone..
    this hot weather a must...try Brian Chans ruby eye leech..no trout will turn down a leech.ever
    also gammarius shrimp...and spratleys who represent all sorts of food prey items..
    cheers
    Srupp