Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loon Lake

Loon Lake

Hi Fellas
    We are going up to Loon Lake next week I have never fished it . Apparently a lot of people use leaded line there . Those of you that have fished it with leaded line what do you use for a lure ?
    First time for my better half fishing there would like to catch some fish . Any place on the lake better than another ?
    Thank You !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Loon Lake

Dick nite spoon as well as the black with speckles F4 flatfish ... long leader 1 1/2 times the length of your rod your using .. use a small swivel between the lead line and leader. Lead line is usually in coloured sections ... 2 1/2 colours let out behind your boat at a very very slow troll has worked.

Thank You Ferenc !

Can I tie the swivel to the lead line ? Again have never used the stuff ?
    I know I’m asking a lot but if any one could show hook ups I would really appreciate it ! My better half’s Mom is coming along . She used to fish it with her husband but not sure if she is familiar with hook ups . She lost her husband last year !
    Than You !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    Dick nite spoon as well as the black with speckles F4 flatfish ... long leader 1 1/2 times the length of your rod your using .. use a small swivel between the lead line and leader. Lead line is usually in coloured sections ... 2 1/2 colours let out behind your boat at a very very slow troll has worked.

The “ Willis “ knot is your friend .... the only reason I suggest the swivel is that the action of the Dicknite/ flatfish will wind up your leader line .... need the small swivel ... if you do a search on the Willis knot you’ll see
    : )
    With the lead line sheath slipped back and the lead core snipped off go with the “Palomar” knot to the small swivel then attach the leader.
    Last edited by Ferenc; 08-03-2022 at 11:02 AM.

I used to own a cabin up there and just used regular monofilament and used "bingo bugs", they worked quite well, there's actually a "Loon Lake Bingo Bug" believe it or not, sold them at Marigolds. We used to smash fish on them.
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

We’re going to have to get more of you guys trained in the art of fly fishing!!!!
    Just kidding, good luck.
    Never fished the lake so can’t give you advice for that one.
    Regular tackle I gave up 40 years ago, won’t look back.

Thanks Ferenc !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    The “ Willis “ knot is your friend .... the only reason I suggest the swivel is that the action of the Dicknite/ flatfish will wind up your leader line .... need the small swivel ... if you do a search on the Willis knot you’ll see
    : )
    With the lead line sheath slipped back and the lead core snipped off go with the “Palomar” knot to the small swivel then attach the leader.

Thanks Browningboy ! Funny you mention the Bingo Bugs I just got a reply from the manufacture of them . She was very helpful with my inquiry and provided some of the information you have given . Seems like a great company ,Bingo Bugs
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    I used to own a cabin up there and just used regular monofilament and used "bingo bugs", they worked quite well, there's actually a "Loon Lake Bingo Bug" believe it or not, sold them at Marigolds. We used to smash fish on them.

I’m going to give fly fishing a try one of these days but I might want to take a couple of lessons on casting . I have the book the Gilley somewhere need to read it !
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    We’re going to have to get more of you guys trained in the art of fly fishing!!!!
    Just kidding, good luck.
    Never fished the lake so can’t give you advice for that one.
    Regular tackle I gave up 40 years ago, won’t look back.

You fellas that have been to Loon Lake before do you troll the whole lake ?
    Arctic Lake