Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bucket list fish

Bucket list fish

Oh the bucket list, well lists really. There are hunting bucket lists, travel bucket lists, and of course the fishing bucket list. It evolves as time goes by, new things added, some things become less important, but really the number of items never seems to change much. As I take one off, another appears.

Son in law was telling the tale of a bush bashing trip to catch grayling awhile back, dozens of these unique little fish rising to his dry fly from a clear mountain stream. I mentioned these fish were near the top of that list, while looking through the pictures and enjoying the story. His suggestion we try it some time needed little thought. The miles of rough trail, then the bushwhacking, the long tree to tree, vertical hillside, then the 1/2 km over downed logs, did little to dampen my enthusiasm.

I taught my kids to dry fly fish almost 2 decades ago, well the little I knew about it, then spent my time in the years since on the still water. Once on the river it felt good to see my fly sitting on the top, dancing in the current. Like riding a bike, my casts were smooth, rolling out as they had 20 years earlier. And, just as before the bushes claimed a few flys on my back cast. I missed the first couple, lifting my rod tip a little to soon, but just as quickly as I rediscovered my roll cast, I found my timing and the little fish were bending my 3 weight again and again. We talked about our bucket lists on the trip home, and the 2 dozen or so grayling that helped remove it from the page.
    Last edited by bc7mm; 07-30-2022 at 10:02 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bucket list fish

Drive to Atlin, BC and head east of the town about 10 minutes. There will be a bridge over the creek that flows out of Surprise Lake. Caught Tons of arctic grayling there. No need to bush wack or hike just a 30 hour drive
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Grayling in Tetsa right along the highway.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

Thumbs up Re: Bucket list fish

Good stuff Buddy!

Caught a hell of a lot of those when we lived in the Arctic.
    Loads of fun on light fly rods alright!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Awesome stuff, catching them from a drive to road just isn't the same as a hike to a spot where very few have fished before.
    I've done well on the fish I've targeted and gotten many trophy size beasts, from 54lb springs to 75lb ling cod. I would like to get a monster halibut in the 150lb + range. Have had several up to 80 lbs but nothing bigger myself.

I know they are catch and release but it the fun of the catch

What do those Northern fish taste like ie, Grayling and Pike .
    I love Salmon , Trout , Halibut and other fish .
    I caught Lake Trout a few times but not fussy about the taste , maybe caught at the wrong time of year or it was the lake
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Grayling is delish, nothing better for a stream side lunch
    They are fighters pound for pound on ultralite gear

Pike from cold waters are good to, need to learn the proper de-boning but its easy on 3-4 lb fish, we pass on the larger ones
    Jigging for lakers in the weed beds can be exciting too, never know what will show up

there is more than one lake 'up north' that gets the attention of international anglers willing to pay the fly-in costs
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Quote Originally Posted by bc7mm View Post
    .............. His suggestion we try it some time needed little thought. The miles of rough trail, then the bushwhacking, the long tree to tree, vertical hillside, then the 1/2 km over downed logs, did little to dampen my enthusiasm.

its not about the catch its about the adventure
    attago
    we had a fresh caught meal of cutthroat trout after a 6 hr alpine hike from a high elevation tarn?/lake? Delish
    Last edited by high horse Hal; 07-29-2022 at 08:34 PM.
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Well written story, do you have some pics? Cheers