Thread: Outboard jet opinion

Outboard jet opinion

Hey guys, I have access to a 2021 mercury 25hp jet 4 stroke and a 90s Yamaha 40hp two stroke. Just lookin for people opinions on what would pair better with my lowe 1648 mt aura.
    keep in mind the newer jets are rated at the pump and the older jets are rated at the power head so they aren’t fair off on hp power I believe but the 40hp 2 stroke is lighter.
    opinions would be appreciated
    moose meat mindset

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Outboard jet opinion

Bigger question would be planned use and areas.

I had 1648 with a 2008 or so Merc 25 jet on it. It pushed it with 2 guys pretty well and 3 ok. I'm on the south Thompson which is pretty flat and no real steep jiggly water. My 1648 MT was a regular and not the Aura with the metal floor. I now have a 1852 with a Yamaha 40 jet.
    The four strokes are nice for not having to mix gas and way less pollution. I always feel guilty with a two stroke and the gas that hits the water. Launching with a two stroke in the south T and watching salmon smolts swim by while gas spreads out on the water behind the motor is not a great feeling.
    Two stroke would be a bit lighter but they are older so parts may be an issue down the road.

I've come to the conclusion when it comes to boats more power is better. I'd go with the 40HP

More power will normally get you out of a bad situation while less power will keep you in it. JMHO though

I have a mid 90s two stroke 40 Yamaha jet and. 2013 25 hp four stroke Yamaha. The two stroke has way more get up and go but uses 4 times the fuel. The fours stroke is quieter and about 50lbs heavier. Depending upon what I’m doing dictates which outboard I use. I have a home made 16’ welded aluminum flat bottom with a tunnel.
    It takes all kinds to make the world go round