Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wood stove recommendation

wood stove recommendation

hey guys. looking for a decent wood stove recommendation. and where to get it from. going to be using it in a 12x14 wall tent. maybe something about 20-30" long. I'd like to stay away from the thin walled tin ones. something with some actual steel to it. and maybe some rack or hanger off the side for warming stuff up. Anyone have a link or website they could share?
    "Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
    --John Wayne

2. Site Sponsor

Re: wood stove recommendation

https://kwikkamp.com/octagon-stoves

We use one of these, little overkill for early season but November mulie and whitetail season you can’t beat it.

those octagon stoves look real nice. thanks.
    "Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
    --John Wayne

I was looking at one of these. If you go through the accessories they have an oven and water tank you can attach.

https://gstove-canada.com/shop/ols/p...e-heat-view-xl

It looks like there’s some Chinese copies out there now.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

The camp chief stove that cabelas sells is about the right size. Biggest mistake you can make is buying too small. One, you need alot of heat for late season, and two, you don’t want to have to feed it every 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I was looking at one of these. If you go through the accessories they have an oven and water tank you can attach.

https://gstove-canada.com/shop/ols/p...e-heat-view-xl

It looks like there’s some Chinese copies out there now.

nice looking stove, but imo about half the size you need for late season hunts. Even if you don’t mind being cold, its nice to not have your water freeze up on you, and dry boits and jacket’s overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by bruteforce17 View Post
    https://kwikkamp.com/octagon-stoves

We use one of these, little overkill for early season but November mulie and whitetail season you can’t beat it.
    this looks good

canadianmountainstoves.ca

Jason builds great product

Quote Originally Posted by Muledeercrazy2 View Post
    nice looking stove, but imo about half the size you need for late season hunts. Even if you don’t mind being cold, its nice to not have your water freeze up on you, and dry boits and jacket’s overnight.
    Yeah, I run a teepee and most of the time I’m packing all of my stuff into a tub trailer to tow behind my quad. I find my liteoutdoors stove is good enough for what I do, but I’d like something a bit more rugged that easier to setup.

My brother uses the alaknak with the big cabelas stove and I think his setup is over 100 pounds and it takes up a lot of room. I’ve also stayed in the dome style cabelas tent with the same stove. The wall tents I’ve stayed in tend to be drafty and need a bigger stove. Depends what you’re going for.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Tin air-tights are no longer made by Great Western Steel. Tin air-tights were called hippee killers. A lot of pioneers got burned out by them ,too. An era has come to a close. I heated my cabin up north with a couple, they don't last that long, until I bought a real wood heater. I've had two for my wall tent . The first got enough use the intake warped. Next morning went to PG and bought a new one.

First of it must be air tight. The door must have that white seal stuff. If it doesn't walk away. If the air intake doesn't seal tight, walk away. Either feed your partner beer so he has to get up in the middle of the night, or have a big enough box you can stuff tight so you don't have to. A 22" tin air tight wasn't large enough, so used the first method. You run a stove on smolder , so you need any thing more than 10 gauge (1/8') steel, but you should have firebricks on the bottom and half way up the sides just in case. You don't need thick firebrick. The thing is packing it. I stuck with tin air tights.