Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEH 4-38 D Cow/calf

LEH 4-38 D Cow/calf

Well I got a draw for Cow/calf moose in 4-38 D. Judging on the amount of tags it's probably going to be a gong show up there,but I've put in for the tag and got it so I'll give it a shot.

Anyone been up there mid to late October in the past?

I see WT(bucks and antlerless), 4pt Mule as well as spike-fork moose, bear and grouse open at that time.

I might, that's a big MIGHT(it would have to be the right person) have an empty seat available if someone is interested in heading up there, say Oct 14-22 (give or take) and able to split the fuel costs there and back from Kamloops. Probably be a tank full(160 litres), maybe a bit more depending on how much driving is done once there, but I'm not a road hunter so bring some comfortable boots. I'd be sleeping in the Suburban and have a small utility trailer in tow for supplies and meat transportation. You'd need tent, food and drink. I've got all other necessary supplies, at least anything I've ever needed.

You'd have to be safe with firearms, non-smoker, experienced hunter or not. I'm just an average hunter, seem to find game but in no way claim to be an expert. Taken a couple elk and a bunch of deer.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

2. Site Sponsor

Re: LEH 4-38 D Cow/calf

I smoke and don't shoot cow or calf moose, so would have to pass. I can't believe they are still giving out cow moose tags.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    I smoke and don't shoot cow or calf moose, so would have to pass. I can't believe they are still giving out cow moose tags.
    Sucks to be you. Heck still GOS for calf moose in region 7A.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by igojuone View Post
    Sucks to be you. Heck still GOS for calf moose in region 7A.
    Good luck with finding one there, with run away grizzly bears and every tom dick and harry roaring around trying to find one to kill.

Just because it's a GOS doesn't mean we should help them destroy all the moose breeding stock, nothing like a race to the bottom.

Good luck with finding one there, with run away grizzly bears and every tom dick and harry roaring around trying to find one to kill.

Just because it's a GOS doesn't mean we should help them destroy all the moose breeding stock, nothing like a race to the bottom.
    Calves aren't breeding stock.
    Cows certainly are, and when we used to get LEH for antlerless elk we would always shoot calves. The BC Gov't used to suggest that for the EK draws.

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    Calves aren't breeding stock.
    Cows certainly are, and when we used to get LEH for antlerless elk we would always shoot calves. The BC Gov't used to suggest that for the EK draws.
    Calves turn into cows and bulls, mostly cows which are breeding stock. In the case of 7A I have to support the McLeod Indian Band in their drive to stop the cow/calf killing with the ludicrous idea of saving the caribou.

First I have to get over the fact there's ghosts and monsters under my bed before I worry about grizzly bears behind every tree.

Hunted that area a lot, with only 15km of the road open to vehicle access, it's a very crowded spot. Most moose that are taken are in the first couple days of the season then they all head up the valley out of range of the road hunting crowd and disappear in to the thickest gnarliest devils club you can imagine. Very hard hunting area unless you are there right at the start of the season, even then it's hard. You'll see lots of old sign and no moose that late in the season, unfortunately. I've spent 8 days straight in there without seeing a single animal. No deer around there at all. That being said, best of luck!!
    Last edited by Travalanche; 07-28-2022 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by igojuone View Post
    First I have to get over the fact there's ghosts and monsters under my bed before I worry about grizzly bears behind every tree.
    From what I understand they are only behind every second tree. BTW it looks like the calf gos is gone now.

From what I understand they are only behind every second tree. BTW it looks like the calf gos is gone now.
    Well that must make you happy or at least no sad. Too bad you couldn't quit smoking.