Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope for Marlin Guide Gun

Scope for Marlin Guide Gun

Heading to Dawson creek for a moose draw this year. Thinking I may pack my Marlin 1895 SBL 45/70 shooting 400 Grain Barnes Busters instead of my Tikka 7mm rem mag shooting 160 Grain Barnes TSX. As I'm scared of G bears, I though the 45/70 hammer of thor might be my best choice in my collection.

What scope is everyone running on the Marlins? I want to be able to shoot out at 200 but have fast target acquisition up close

Cheers
    Last edited by Murder; 07-21-2022 at 11:28 PM.
    Blacktail Nut

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Scope for Marlin Guide Gun

If you’re scared of G-bears, the best thing to have is sidewalk chalk to draw out your safe space.

Or you can make like an orchardist and grow a pear.
    Pretend hunter.

I have a Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5 x 32 on an 1895GS. It is mounted with Warne QR mounts so it could be taken off and open sights used. It holds zero well going on and off.

Leupold fx2 2.5x36 with QR mounts

I have a Nikon Prostaff 2.5-7 on a 1895GS and find it perfect.

I have a 1.5-6 Leupold shotgun scope on my SBL. Heavy crosshair, easy to pick up in low light.

Quote Originally Posted by landphil View Post
    If you’re scared of G-bears, the best thing to have is sidewalk chalk to draw out your safe space.

Or you can make like an orchardist and grow a pear.

I’d honestly like to hear the story that sparked the grizzly ptsd

I ran into THE most impressive grizzly bear in my life yesterday. It was the most awesome bear I’ve ever seen. And I’ve hunted and shot LOTS of bears including grizzlies
    50 yards
    He looked me over pretty good and decided to leave me alone…..I then looked down at my Win94 trapper 30-30 like it was a red Ryder….haha

I run a Burris fast fire 3 on my trapper….its awesome, but what if the battery dies or I forget to turn it on
    i run lever revolution ammo too.

I tried a 1.5-5 leupold but I found it too clunky
    tried the fancy peep sights
    tried buckhorns

honestly the best it too just run the factory sights and practice lots, so you know your hold overs if it’s far.

The more your shoot it, the more comfortable you’ll feel when you need to make a hit.

Leupold 2x28.

I've got a Leup FX2 4x33 on my XLR small and clear. But I agree with Drillbit. If the situation arises and you need the gun for defense, you'd best be at one with the gun of nothing else matters!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by Murder View Post
    Heading to Dawson creek for a moose draw this year. Thinking I may pack my Marlin 1895 SBL 45/70 shooting 400 Grain Barnes Busters instead of my Tikka 7mm rem mag shooting 160 Grain Barnes TSX. As I'm scared of G bears, I though the 45/70 hammer of thor might be my best choice in my collection.

What scope is everyone running on the Marlins? I want to be able to shoot out at 200 but have fast target acquisition up close

Cheers
    200yrds with a 400 gr barnes buster? Better get a scope with turrets!! I'd feel perfectly safe with a 7 rem mag and 160 tsx! Your 7 is perfect for any critter you run in to out there. I like the marlin levers, I carry a 444 with 265gr FP hornadys while recreating in the field for anything but hunting. Id hunt with it to, but within its iron sight range of 50-150 yrds. Good luck on the moose draw, 2 points, 3 brow tines or 10 total points blows goats as a LEH, but at least you can still hunt moose?!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"