Thread: Recommendations for a backcountry rod

Recommendations for a backcountry rod

I don t do much fishing these days, but my wife likes fishing whenever we’re camping at the lake and I’ve broken a few rods by tying them to my backpack or throwing them in the back of my tub trailer so I’m looking for a light rod, 5-8 pound line and a hard case or sturdy soft case. If you guys have any recommendations as I’ll probably have to order online without seeing it first hand.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Recommendations for a backcountry rod

Get a quality collapsible with a case and strap it to the rack where it wont get tumbled around? They work pretty good, not sure how big the fish are were you live.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Get a quality collapsible with a case and strap it to the rack where it wont get tumbled around? They work pretty good, not sure how big the fish are were you live.
    X2.

I have a a Shimano Exage BX STC TE that collapses down into a rigid carrying case that is maybe 2 feet long; would be very easy to strap to the side of pack. When extended it is an 8' rod. See link below but you may want to check if it comes with the carrying case as I don't see any mention of it.

https://tyeemarine.ca/product/shiman...rod-in-canada/

Take a look at a diawa minispin. They run about $50 US. Have had one for a very long time. They are a great little system. I have used mine in lots of little lakes and streams over the years. They are lots of fun and don't under estimate their abilities. Would highly recommend on for back country and pack ins.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    Take a look at a diawa minispin. They run about $50 US. Have had one for a very long time. They are a great little system. I have used mine in lots of little lakes and streams over the years. They are lots of fun and don't under estimate their abilities. Would highly recommend on for back country and pack ins.
    These look pretty cool for stuffing in my backpack. I’m going to get one coming and maybe wait a bit until I can find something a touch nicer for her with a case that fits properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    These look pretty cool for stuffing in my backpack. I’m going to get one coming and maybe wait a bit until I can find something a touch nicer for her with a case that fits properly.
    They are pretty cool. I use 2 lb test line and spinners. Have caught lots of trout up 4 lbs with my little rod. Lots of fun if you use the drag correctly and are patient. Have fun and show us some trout pictures. Good luck

I had an Okuma Nomad travel rod.
    They stopped making it.
    There is a replacement, Voyager Signature Series.
    Last edited by Bugle M In; 07-21-2022 at 06:27 PM.

I can’t find the daiwa mini spin anymore so it looks like I’ll try out the okuma voyager.