Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One eyed pack rat in engine

One eyed pack rat in engine

Was sleeping in my Truck last night scouting, took the old man up to get him out as well. I woke up to him telling me there is something trying to get at our food, so we get up flashlights and headlamps and hear the thing in the engine compartment.

Pop the hood and there is an absolutely massive pack rat with only one eye, thing was f***ing huge I thought it was a marmot at first!! We ended up spooking it off and moved up the road.

No damage, not yet anyways. I think it's good but there was a weird electrical noise like it stepped on something or started chewing.

Guys got any good ways to keep em away from the vehicle? My vehicle will be sitting in this general area when season opens for a week, or maybe two.

They ruined my Dads buddys truck in the Kootenays back in the day. Had to get it towed!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: One eyed pack rat in engine

F***in thing had one eye, one eye!! It was nuts like something out of a movie one eyed pack rat from hell

Ya leave the hood popped.

Otter Point (Southern Vancouver Island) MU1-2&3

I’ve been told to use Irish Spring soap bar in chucks placed here and there, but those buggers just remove the pieces, even regular rats do the same.
    Peppermint oil or spray works well for me so far.
    I grow peppermint in the garden, use the sprigs (stem & leafs) in the woodshed, layered in the rows, keeps the rats from making nests in there.

Shit I hate those things I had one make a nest in my engine compartment.

I hate those things!! Popping the hood has never helped me. Was elk hunting last year, sleeping in my truck canopy, and I heard a noise at around 11:30. Jumped out and lifted my hood all the way open and there was a packrat sitting on the engine. I grabbed the little ****er and threw him about 30 ft away. I ran over to stamp on him and he was off like a shot. Darn they are fast! About 2:30 in the morning I hear another one. I get up and my cousin hears me and gets up and asks what the hell im doing. I said we’ve got packrats and we gotta go. He doesn’t even flinch and nods his head and says let’s pack it up. We drove about an hour to where we were planning on hunting the next day, slept in out trucks and got up 2 hours later. Did I mention I hate packrats!
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

Moth Balls. Put them anywhere you don’t want rodents.

Never seen one but funny stories. Can I guy set traps for them? May as well do them in and not worry about it again.

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    I hate those things!! Popping the hood has never helped me. Was elk hunting last year, sleeping in my truck canopy, and I heard a noise at around 11:30. Jumped out and lifted my hood all the way open and there was a packrat sitting on the engine. I grabbed the little ****er and threw him about 30 ft away. I ran over to stamp on him and he was off like a shot. Darn they are fast! About 2:30 in the morning I hear another one. I get up and my cousin hears me and gets up and asks what the hell im doing. I said we’ve got packrats and we gotta go. He doesn’t even flinch and nods his head and says let’s pack it up. We drove about an hour to where we were planning on hunting the next day, slept in out trucks and got up 2 hours later. Did I mention I hate packrats!
    I think if you grabed a packrat you would be missing some fingers..did you leave the hood opem after the first encounter..and i cant believe you let him get away