Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One eyed pack rat in engine

Re: One eyed pack rat in engine

Check out Mouse Blocker, not sure if it works on pack rats but it solved my mouse under the hood issue.
    I also put a 110 volt version in my shop and the mice and rats stayed out.

The wire mesh skirt idea depends on sealing it to the ground with rocks, and bending the upper edge to fit tightly around the shape of the vehicle. Heavier gauge half inch mesh is fairly rigid, at least beyond what the rats I have encountered can bend. They seem to focus on trying to get under the mesh, rather than in from the top edges. It needs to be higher than the wheel wells, to stop porcupines that might like to chew tires, as well as pack rats. The whole thing rolls up and rides on the roof rack.

I hope none of them read this, and get ideas..
    Last edited by Paddler; 07-19-2022 at 10:23 AM.

I’ve never had a pack rat problem, but it gets me thinking what if a fellow set some strategically placed connibear 110s…

cat brought one into the house and let it get away...we tried for weeks to catch it...we would find balls of tinfoil and insulation from the stove in little spots for a short while but the cat finally caught it and finished the job...being more brown they are not so freaky as those ugly black wharf rats

My buddy had one get up into his fender last year on his big ford.

He put the truck in his shop and closed all the doors so it couldn’t get away when he took off the inner fender

There was a bit of shooting going on in the shop after that haha. The funniest part was he wounded it bad and it got back into the truck and died in the other fender!! Hahaha
    Man, it was funny!
    he wasn’t too happy about having to undo that side to get the body out, but I thought it was hilarious

Wow, that would have been funny, should have used a 410 in the garage and wore safety glasses for ricochet’s, ha, ha.

Had a pair of mice set up house in the travel trailer once. Chewed the canvas handle of my expensive fishing tackle bag which pissed me off greatly. Got up in the middle of the night and nailed one of them with a bread board. In order to reach where it was, I had to lean over the head of my son's bed and dangle my bare nuts about a foot from his face. I'm sure he remains scarred to this day. After reading this thread, I think I will go down and check under the hood of my truck for signs of damage. Would not rat traps on the ground around the truck, baited with various types of food, attract larger unwanted predators into camp?

Quote Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
    Check out Mouse Blocker, not sure if it works on pack rats but it solved my mouse under the hood issue.
    I also put a 110 volt version in my shop and the mice and rats stayed out.
    I'll check that out, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wagonmaster View Post
    Had a pair of mice set up house in the travel trailer once. Chewed the canvas handle of my expensive fishing tackle bag which pissed me off greatly. Got up in the middle of the night and nailed one of them with a bread board. In order to reach where it was, I had to lean over the head of my son's bed and dangle my bare nuts about a foot from his face. I'm sure he remains scarred to this day. After reading this thread, I think I will go down and check under the hood of my truck for signs of damage. Would not rat traps on the ground around the truck, baited with various types of food, attract larger unwanted predators into camp?
    I will be putting up a perimeter as well, but if something big wants in it won't stop it your right. For the first 5 days or so someone will be at camp but then i'll be on my own and thats when I will use the extra precaution. Unless I were to punch my tag before that

Buy a bag of the moth balls at walmart. They come in a blue bag, 2 disks in a sleve. They work great keeping packrats out of campers. I even throw a few under the camper.
    PARA-ZENE Moth Balls

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/para-zene-moth-balls-white/6000194854901
    Last edited by tigrr; 07-20-2022 at 05:09 PM.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"