Thread: My Dog's first retrieve, my first wood duck

diggerpax is offline "Shoot 'em in the guts"

My Dog's first retrieve, my first wood duck

My golden (Kootenay, 1 1/2 years old) retrieved her first bird this weekend after several days of no luck. I don't know if there is a better moment for a bird hunter than when his dog retrieves its first bird. We walked in about a mile on public ground scouting for a new place to build a blind. I snuck through tall grass with her tight on my heels to jump a little inlet where we had spotted a lone duck. Unfortunately it was just a little diver, but we did get it up, and I wasn't about to pass on her first bird. She plunged into the water when the gun went off, but she had lost her mark, and I had to throw a rock to get her back on track. She circled around the flailing bird a few times not knowing where to grab hold, but with a little encouragement she snagged a wing and came happily swimming back. When she made it to shore we celebrated as though we had just stuck a six point bull (just Kootenay and I). Luckily there were no other hunters in the area to see us jumping around like fools. On the way out, we jumped a small slough, and I knocked down my first wood duck. This time there was no hesitation as she plunged in the water retrieved the bird like she was a seasoned veteran. What a great day for both us.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: My Dog's first retrieve, my first wood duck

Good for you! I still remember my dog Nash's first retrieve, It's like he just graduated from high school.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

good job ! must be a great feeling of accomplishment .

Congrats I had the same experience two weeks ago with my pup Kayla.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Good story....had me laughing as I imagined you jumping around. Congrats.

WTG!! There may be nothing as sweet for a dog owner than watching that very first retrieve.
    Here's to many more.
    To warm barrels and cold noses