Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: life-jacket laws are archaic and need to be overhauled

Re: life-jacket laws are archaic and need to be overhauled

I always have trouble with laws that are only to protect stupid people from their own stupidity....it means stupid people live and breed more stupid people...what if we are in the middle of a calm lake and decide to strip down and go for a cool dip....sorry not allowed to to take the life jacket off...

"On fast flowing Rivers, wearing a Life Jackets can become a Liability because most don't allow you to swim as fast as without. If you fall into the Water, make extreme efforts to get to shore as quickly as possible because if you allow yourself to get drifted around the next bend, you could end in a Logjam and no Life Jacket will help you then."

Well not sure if your speaking from experience, but as one who has spent many 100s if not 1000s of hrs in swiftwater environments this is simply not my experience, it comes down to a bit of training and practice in controlled locations and you will never think that the Life jacket is a liability.

As for the mandatory thing, yea its more of the govt trying to save the dumb, if my boats moving or anchored in a current your in a jacket.

But before I poo poo the whole idea, id like to see the data on how many hrs and resources are spent looking for people in the water not wearing life jackets compared to resources spent looking for people who were in life jackets. If there is a dramatic difference it may save some taxes, and we all pay enough of that now. If its not really any different, there is enough people already .....

Some life jacket laws are ridiculous.

You don't need a life jacket on a surf board, but if you add a paddle to your surf board you need one.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I'm a strong swimmer. I don't wear it. My kid isn't a strong swimmer. He wears it. Father in law full on can't swim, he wears one on the dock.

I've heard that most drowned fishermen are found with their pants undone, they fell overboard while pissing. Maybe a law stating you must wear a lift jacket to take a leak would be appropriate. I don't know how it would apply to a female fisherman.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    I'm a strong swimmer. I don't wear it. My kid isn't a strong swimmer. He wears it. Father in law full on can't swim, he wears one on the dock.

I've heard that most drowned fishermen are found with their pants undone, they fell overboard while pissing. Maybe a law stating you must wear a lift jacket to take a leak would be appropriate. I don't know how it would apply to a female fisherman.
    I used to teach continuing education and such in a Marine related business and would get Guest Speakers from the VPD Marine Squad, Coast Guard, Fisheries and such and they mentioned the "pants, zipper" pissing thing, apparently it's true and always a guy.

In some conditions people need to be protected from their own demise ! Maybe they just don’t have the cranial capacity to see things for themselves . As far as those people and their kids . The kids need to be protected from their parents poor decisions it’s not the kids fault . Educate the kids before poor decisions become ingrained in them !
    If you want to see some poor decisions on the water check out YouTube and Haulover Inlet in Florida , unbelievable !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

With the great reset taking place I would have though all life jacket and seat belt laws would be removed.
    Must be money in it for the fines for not wearing it.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post

On fast flowing Rivers, wearing a Life Jackets can become a Liability because most don't allow you to swim as fast as without.

Cheers

Nothing personal but this is the silliest thing I have read in a long time. Rivers are the one place I would NEVER be in a small boat without a life jacket, especially by myself. Current will get you every time. I live in Kamloops. We have people drown every year that START OFF on shore. Once the current grabs you that's it for most. Panic and flowing water will drag you down them that's it.

I get your point about sweepers though. Always dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    Nothing personal but this is the silliest thing I have read in a long time. Rivers are the one place I would NEVER be in a small boat without a life jacket, especially by myself. Current will get you every time. I live in Kamloops. We have people drown every year that START OFF on shore. Once the current grabs you that's it for most. Panic and flowing water will drag you down them that's it.

I get your point about sweepers though. Always dangerous.
    I agree with you. Mountian rivers can be extremely cold even in august falling in and the shock of the water can quickly overcome you .

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    That’s what happened to Bob. Don’t be like Bob. Pee in your bailing bucket.
    Pretend hunter.