Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2022 sheep gear list

Re: 2022 sheep gear list

My philosophy is this. I’d rather a bear eat my food than me.

if I’m in the alpine I try and hang it high enough off of the ground so small critters can’t get it and if there’s a tree around than I try and get it up a bit higher and hang a bear bell off of the bottom of it. My hopes is that I’ll hear the bell if anything is messing with it in the night. But if there’s no tree to hang it than it stays in the vestibule.

I don’t know if you saw the thread I posted recently about the black bear that shredded my tent, but it’s worth checking out. The bear ripped my tent open looking for me and screwed off when he figured out I wasn’t in there. If there was any food in there than he would’ve went for it, but if he found my food cache outside my tent than he would’ve likely left my tent alone, at least u til the next day. It’s a one in a million thing to happen.

Some food for thought.

I can bump it if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I dehydrate all of my own meals now. You can probably pay for a dehydrator in the savings from one ten day trip and the food is way better.

Mountain house seems counter productive for me as I get the shits shortly after eating it.
    What types of meals or recipes are you using to make your own dehydrated meals ?
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    What types of meals or recipes are you using to make your own dehydrated meals ?
    I mostly eat chili, spaghetti and a version of stuffed peppers. Sometimes I mix scrambled eggs with corn grits, salsa, peppers and powdered cheese.

I’m going to try a burrito recipe soon and mix some ground beef with beans and stuff and bring a few fresh wraps

I’ll post a couple recipes here shortly.

This is what I use for heating my food. I usually put a 1/4 to half the amount of hot water in with my food at lunch time of mid afternoon and then warm it up with the rest of the water at dinner time.

Here’s my chili recipe. I throw all of this right in the slow cooker with one pound of raw lean ground beef, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, one tablespoon chili powder and optional 1/2 to full pack of taco seasoning. When dehydrating just measure out a portion sized bowl and put it on its own tray and you’ll have a portioned meal after dehydrating. For rehydrating my rule of thumb is to cover the food and just a bit more water seems to be pretty close with everything I make.

Nice List

You might consider

Salt for the cape
    bug spray
    sil tarp
    parachute cord or line
    mole skin or similar- nothing worse than sore feet
    something to read if your stuck in your tent for several days

You've got time to dehydrate every meal you need to. Over the years my partner and I have made a few hundred meals with a 100$ dehydrator. We just make big meals of whatever we're having for supper - 50% goes to supper - 50% goes to the dehydrator. You name it, we've dried it: pad thai, chili, shepherd's pie, peanut butter, curries, stews, pastas, etc etc etc... SO MUCH BETTER than store bought. Takes longer to re-hydrate in the field, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by markathome View Post
    You've got time to dehydrate every meal you need to. Over the years my partner and I have made a few hundred meals with a 100$ dehydrator. We just make big meals of whatever we're having for supper - 50% goes to supper - 50% goes to the dehydrator. You name it, we've dried it: pad thai, chili, shepherd's pie, peanut butter, curries, stews, pastas, etc etc etc... SO MUCH BETTER than store bought. Takes longer to re-hydrate in the field, but whatever.
    That’s why I throw a bit of water in mid afternoon or a couple hours before I plan on eating. It makes a world of difference.

I’m planning on bringing some oil to make the dehydrated meals taste better. Maybe when I have more time I’ll try making my own ! 20ft paradord salt and some other things I am bringing too ! I should have done better with populating the list. For reading I was going to download some audio books and maybe some movies lol ! Stashing another batter pack at the airstrip too just incase lol. I do plan on bringing 3 bagels with peanut butter and bacon to help keep the calories for the first couple days .

I’ve never understood why Everyone says to bring moleskin. I tried it one time , because everyone says “better bring moleskin” that stuff is useless. It’ll last about 35 steps on your foot inside a boot. Grab some leukotape P off Amazon. It’s like $21 a roll and last years. If your prone to blisters, tape your feet before you even start hiking to prevent them before it’s too late. List looks good. Good luck on your trip! You might wanna invest in a better tripod eventually.

i agree with the moleskin its junk.