Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2022 sheep gear list

Re: 2022 sheep gear list

Quote Originally Posted by madcalfe View Post
    i agree with the moleskin its junk.
    I’ve been through a few packages of that stuff now and I can’t remember it not working. I don’t remember putting it on myself, but I’ve definitely used it on my kids and others in my group because I keep buying them.

2lbs of salt if you plan on keeping hide for mount....

I agree with the siltarp, paracord, & moleskin comments: nice to have the siltarp for that extra barrier of protection from precip, the cord is so handy for a multitude of tasks, & with the moleskin I keep it in my first aid kit, if I have issues with it sticking I use medical tape...

Great work on that comprehensive list though, thanks for sharing it...

I have yet to do a sheep hunt but based off my experience with hike in camp hunting for elk/deer, I also recommend bringing a compass just in case your other forms of navigation fail, & I really love having electrolyte tabs with me: sometimes they can provide that real boost of energy one needs...

I have a compass in my medical bag too ! I have some other blister stuff in there too as I took out the moleskins due to them falling off ! As well as a roll of luko tape for repair, if I get some blisters I’ll try the luko that’s a good tip ! I’ve wanted a new tripod but the silk sprint just seems to do the job and I figured for sheep I’ll have it all the way lowered. Maybe next year though! Harry do you use the nuun electrolytes? I figured I’d have two tabs a day to help with hydration.

Sounds like you have it figured out Robbie, good on ya...make sure to start a thread with pics etc of your hunt...for electrolytes I use the Emergen-C packs and one other that I can't remember...

Fortunately for me and my partner, our elk spot last year had tonnes of wild black huckleberries that obviously provide excellent vitamins and electrolytes, so I look forward to that again this year..

Agreed on the dehydrated meals, I don’t know how people eat mtn house for 10 days...
    dehydrated so much better!

a few things to consider for your list;

bug dope is essential
    crocs
    9 coffees seems like not enough!
    I would ditch the water filter personally
    contractor bag for keeping backpack clean and cooling meat in creeks
    Fuzzy sleep socks
    some sort of hydration drink mix
    butter
    small bag of steak spice

Binoculars? Maybe I missed them on your list but I use them about 20/1 over the spotting scope. I also like a phone scope for aging rams. You take photos, then enlarge them 5X and really see rings. Neat mementos to have the pictures later too. You Swaro is a fine spotter for that.

I use just under 1 oz of fuel per day with an MSR pocket rocket. Seems like like you are very heavy on fuel.

Good list, good luck!

As per the Slik Sprint Pro II tripod, I've made one work for 13 seasons. I de-tatch the center post (saves a few ozs and isn't stable anyway)and use the stock ball head that came on it. They are marginal but effective...and as you say, most of your glassing is sitting....and I always widen the stance out on the legs as its way more stable than the legs in the straighter upright position. Even have some very cool digiscoped photos taken thru the years.
    Last edited by Blockcaver; 07-21-2022 at 08:26 AM.