Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting in Jasper...

Hunting in Jasper...

Does anybody know anything about this??

A section of Jasper National Park is closed to the general public for a week to allow members of a B.C. First Nation to hunt on their traditionally used lands, which fall within the park boundary.
    Parks Canada said it negotiated an agreement with Simpcw First Nation, which it says has been asking for several years to hold a harvest on their traditionally used lands. The move is part of reconciliation efforts between the government and Canada’s First Nations.

Hunters from a B.C. First Nation have returned from a traditional hunt in Jasper National Park after harvesting six animals over a five-day stretch.
    The traditional harvest by members of the Simpcw First Nation, who live 70 kilometres north of Kamloops, took place from Oct. 6 to Oct. 10 near the Snaring River in the park.
    Simpcw Chief Nathan Matthew says the hunt was very emotional for some. (Courtesy Thompson Rivers University)
    Matthew called the hunt a success, as the group harvested six animals in total: three elk, two bighorn sheep and one whitetail deer, all of which will be shared by the community.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting in Jasper...

I don’t know anything about it but being Fn myself and following normal hunting regulations I think it’s bullshit. Barrier is pretty far from jasper.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Most of been a real “hunters accomplishment!
    Nothing like tagging an animal that just stands there and stares at you.
    Oh, the stories they will tell their grandchildren……
    Total bs.
    Whats new.

Shouldn't they be hunting with traditional methods when hunting traditional lands, example being no vehicles, no firearms, no compound or crossbows or even recurves, no bino's and so on and so forth

As usual an indian asks, the government falls over themselves to comply.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

****ing so funny that 40% of their harvest were bighorn sheep… the things they have on their back step in Kamloops… oh ya, they wanted trophy sheep out of jasper to sell… you know, their traditional way of raising Canadian dollars back when they were the “first people on North America” ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    ****ing so funny that 40% of their harvest were bighorn sheep… the things they have on their back step in Kamloops… oh ya, they wanted trophy sheep out of jasper to sell… you know, their traditional way of raising Canadian dollars back when they were the “first people on North America” ha ha.
    Good to see you’re sticking to hunting stories and away from the drama…

JMHO, if hunting is going to be allowed in Jasper park it should be by a Draw system free for all to apply nation wide because Jasper is a National Park...fair is fair.

Nothing is fair in this world, our life is what we make it, being born into an elite class of people in Canada is a great privilege, following science I don't think that tiny harvest will hurt the game numbers in the Park so other than enflaming racist sentiments there isn't much point to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Nothing is fair in this world, our life is what we make it, being born into an elite class of people in Canada is a great privilege, following science I don't think that tiny harvest will hurt the game numbers in the Park so other than enflaming racist sentiments there isn't much point to this thread.
    I agree....nothing surprises me these days.Certainly it makes me shake my head...but it reflects on FN level of entitlement...
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience