Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fraser river sockeye

Arrow Re: Fraser river sockeye

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    My guide friend suspects it wont open due to bycatch thats at risk..
    Given the current greenie minister and her draconian actions of late, I would not be holding my breath that it will open for the recreational sector. In fact, I've already heard some pretty concerning rumors / news regarding commercial openings this year as well...

Time will tell...

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: Fraser river sockeye

I recall now that I was off to Merritt for a week of fishing at a lake when it opened that day 4 years ago on the Fraser.
    I also recall how much open room there was due to it being a weekday vs a weekend.
    I also recall my buddy went up with his son in that first week and they limited out in under 2 hours and I think he also got a Chinook.
    I went near the last week on a weekend.
    A gong show but had a great time with all the folks that are at that spot.
    Not like the horror stories I hear from the past.

I was lucky and got my limit and fairly quickly.
    But most people had a hell of a time and the guys on jet boats and able to hit private sandbars etc were having a shitty time.
    By thst point the nets across the river were all over the place.

So, it was slow and it was the end of the run, BUT, the Sockeye for still pretty fresh and all still had the sea lice.
    So, they are fine on the lower Fraser for sure for however you want to prepare them.

I had to teach my fishing buddy the trick of throwing them on ice as soon as they are caught...an absolute must for pinks but any fish put on ice right away will be closer to its prime....

Stun them, don’t kill them, cut the gills, let the heart pump to bleed them out, put them on ice in cooler, gut if you want, but best to rinse out at home rather than on river.
    Good to go, imo.

I read one release that said there is a one in four chance of there being less than 4 million sockeye and a one in four chance there may be more than 20 million sockeye. Hopefully we get a bit of notice if they do open the river. I'm hoping to haul my trailer down from kamloops but I'm not sure if there's much for free riverside camping these days. I think herrling Island is closed to access. Anyone know if gill rd is still open? It was a bit of a shit show last time I was there.

Gill road was closed due to hi water , not sure when they will re open it. It is always a shit show down there. There is a first Nations site in agasiz on the river, have to pay but I bet it is a lot more peaceful than Gill.
    It aint easy being green

Got a text last night from a fellow I know in Town.
    Did I want to buy some nice fresh, deboned Sockeye??
    Politely declined.
    I guess there's some "openings" for some "groups".

I don't think we will see another sockeye opening ever.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I think the fraser will open for sockeye this year, maybe a shorter opening but we may get some.
    Skeena just opened for Sockeye (limit 1) then the next day opened for limit 2 per day. North coast has some pretty good openings as well. Good to see a strong Skeena run.
    Pockets/zones of Ocean in front of the fraser opens up Aug 1 for (1) Chinook under 80cm, and (2) fish Sept 1st.
    Test fisheries showing slight increase in gillnet but they are doing 3 seine tests this weekend which will show more.

Overall good conditions for the fish in the river - lots of water - good for fish but not much beach for fishermen, water temp is low will help survival.

Fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by tyreguy View Post
    I think the fraser will open for sockeye this year, maybe a shorter opening but we may get some.
    Skeena just opened for Sockeye (limit 1) then the next day opened for limit 2 per day. North coast has some pretty good openings as well. Good to see a strong Skeena run.
    Pockets/zones of Ocean in front of the fraser opens up Aug 1 for (1) Chinook under 80cm, and (2) fish Sept 1st.
    Test fisheries showing slight increase in gillnet but they are doing 3 seine tests this weekend which will show more.

Overall good conditions for the fish in the river - lots of water - good for fish but not much beach for fishermen, water temp is low will help survival.

Fingers crossed
    Agree, from the sockeye point of view, conditions do sound good for their survival, which is a good thing.
    Water has been higher so it could present some issues.
    Gill rd can get really busy.
    But I had a good time amongst the group of people I was surrounded by 4 years ago.
    It can be really testy an unpleasant butt last time it was a lot of fun.