Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Fraser river sockeye

Re: Fraser river sockeye

I almost died laughing at this quote.

To reverse the downward spiral, we must change the pattern of exploitation that began when the first canneries were built on the coast at the beginning of the last century and learn from the way First Nations managed salmon populations for thousands of years,” concluded Taylor.

seems the government condones us raping and pillaging the rivers for profit, indiscriminately killing all the by catch and not letting any of the breeders to the spawning grounds by netting the entire river side to side in a magnitude of places.. we have to do it the Indians way if we wanna keep fishing, they said it themselves.

I will say it’s a god damn shame when the naturally occurring hay bail floats down the river and destroys all those traditional gill nets and commercial fishing.

This is meant for all us South Thompson----Shuswap fishin folks,,,,,,this is a very quick run down of the last 2 sockeye openings date notices,,,(2014--2018------Tuesday August 19th 2014---Notice of sockeye opening----Sept 4th 2014--Notice of increased bag limit from 2/day too 4/day----------Monday August 13th 2018--Notice of sockeye opening,,,,,,,,,,,,,,like i said,,very quick history on aprox. sockeye opening Notices for our area,,,,,so basically historically,,,,good chance we gonna have to wait till last minute for a Notice of a sockeye opening,,,,aprox 2nd--3rd week of August,,,,anyone can check this for themselves on the DFO page
    Aim small,,miss small

Quote Originally Posted by tubby View Post
    The slide is nowhere near Boston bar and the springs and sockeye have been able to navigate easily past the three obstacles easily for weeks now. Hells Gate, Bridge River Rapids and the Big bar slide are the major obstacles.

As for the late run Adams stock which we will be targeting (not the summer stock), it is tracking terrible in the marine sections currently. Hopefully this will change as its not looking good at the current time.

Also of note they are saying that is is a 93% mortallity on the Early stuart sockeye due to high water....
    Yes, I am wrong as far as the slide, more up towards big bar.
    But, I think it was reported the sockets are backed up around Boston bar.
    I know years ago, they would stack up around Yale, this all the traffic around the weight scales and rosedale areas.
    I think back then it was too low a water level?
    But the Fraser was fairly high and thus the slide area has the water moving pretty fast for the salmon to go thru, but hopefully the lack of rain this past week helped?

Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    This is meant for all us South Thompson----Shuswap fishin folks,,,,,,this is a very quick run down of the last 2 sockeye openings date notices,,,(2014--2018------Tuesday August 19th 2014---Notice of sockeye opening----Sept 4th 2014--Notice of increased bag limit from 2/day too 4/day----------Monday August 13th 2018--Notice of sockeye opening,,,,,,,,,,,,,,like i said,,very quick history on aprox. sockeye opening Notices for our area,,,,,so basically historically,,,,good chance we gonna have to wait till last minute for a Notice of a sockeye opening,,,,aprox 2nd--3rd week of August,,,,anyone can check this for themselves on the DFO page
    Agree, it will be very short notice as always!
    And a short season as always.

Just wondering if anyone has a link to a webpage that the dfo use or will use if the sockeye “suddenly open”.
    I always flounder thru their site already.
    Just want a link where I can check daily, if it exists.

Also, was there an opening for those in boats out on the ocean at the south Fraser at all 4 years ago for sockeye??
    Things have changed since 2018, and even chinook etc are off limits til probably September this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has a link to a webpage that the dfo use or will use if the sockeye “suddenly open”.
    I always flounder thru their site already.
    Just want a link where I can check daily, if it exists.
    Aim small,,miss small

hope you can see the link at top,,,,,this where i check daily for openings
    Aim small,,miss small

You can also subscribe to the newsletter updates, and as soon as they make any announcements you get it directly to your email. https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/f...cfm?pg=pub_reg lets you select which regions, and which notices are important to you. I personally get the Fraser Sockeye ones, and also the closures for shellfish etc. It's kind of nice, as you can see how the season is progressing and get a good idea if/when it will be opening based on their catchment numbers etc.

Thank you, on it!