Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fraser river sockeye

Fraser river sockeye

with this being the 4th year, the possibility of a sockeye opening on the river, does anyone have projected run size information? I hope to get down to Hope for some fishing in august

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fraser river sockeye

Well, first we have to see if they open it.
    My understanding is that the runs south of the border have been pretty decent so far.
    So, I can’t say what the return projection are, but we should see an opening from what I have been hearing.
    But then again, it’s the liberals running the shoe with the dfo so who knows.

I am not even sure if the opening for chinook has been announced on the east side of the island come July 15 th???
    Granted, I have been neck deep in personal matters so maybe it was announced.

Call down to Pacific Anglers, as someone there might have some deeper insight on the Fraser that is current.

thanks, it seems that this year the information is hidden, years past I could google and find the projected numbers

Quote Originally Posted by .300WSMImpact! View Post
    thanks, it seems that this year the information is hidden, years past I could google and find the projected numbers
    It’s been a nightmare for many of those that guide for salmon around the LM of places like Nanaimo.
    The DFO says they will release the info on such and such date bug then don’t.
    They keep everyone waiting.
    I know it’s not fair to those that run thise charters and need to know, not the night before.
    But the DFO and the Libs have been brutal for some years now and only getting worse it seems.

My guide friend suspects it wont open due to bycatch thats at risk..Im still crossing my fingers. Its been 4 years since I was able to dine on copious amounts of sockeye sashimi lol
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

If you want to read 602 pages of the IFMP (Integrated Fisheries Management Plan) go ahead, but the short of it is that the run forecast is for just short of 10M returning sockeye. The Fraser between Mission and Hope will not open before July 29th. As for protecting other species, coho and steelhead, the rolling window closure starts on September 22 for the recreational fishery.

Thanks guys….
    It might have been August 4 years ago as well.
    can’t remember but I hope there is an opening

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Thanks guys….
    It might have been August 4 years ago as well.
    can’t remember but I hope there is an opening
    you and me both, I love it

My only sockeye are from Costco …not bad, fresh and filleted …they only open sooke for rec fishing after the fish have gone through

It opened early august in 2018. It was a Friday. I remember because I realized that sockeye might open and checked the notice. It had been released that day saying it would be open for the following Monday. So I went to the local tackle shop and when I asked for the bouncing betties, the owner smiled and said I was the first guy to come in for sockeye tackle. It was a great august for me in 2018 ��. Hoping to get my kids and some friends in to some sockeye this summer