Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mosquitos and water purification

Re: Mosquitos and water purification

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    I absolutely believe they like certain people more than others. I would get attacked while my girlfriend was immune. But it could be that the mosquitoes like the taste of beer, too.
    I’m close to immune to them so it’s not the beer / BAC. Wife gets eaten alive by them, and the bites swell up like crazy.

I grew up in region 5, so I’ve donated my share of blood, and do think we can develop a bit of tolerance / immunity to their bites. Or maybe I’m just too bitter, or taste like shit??
    Pretend hunter.

Thermacells work really well. I was surprised at how effective they are. In terms of water purification, why not use UV, especially if you are pulling water out of clear mountain streams?? I get it’s not so good with water with silt loading, but are their people with personal experience with it not working? I’ve used it for the last several years but only on maybe 10-15 litres.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

Another Thermacell endorsement here, 100% better than any other coil/candle/scent/spray etc that they have ever put on the market. A liquid repellant with 99% Deet was our go to in years past but I don't think you can purchase it in that strength anymore.

We always take head nets on backpack hunts. Best dollar you will ever spend.

When glassing we pull them up in the front so we look like we work at McDonalds. Always keep your ears covered.
    We also take a deet product. I like Ben’s which is 30% deet. They make small bottles for backpacking. Put it in a ziploc.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I grew up in mosquito country...I rarely ever notice them bite me now and don't get itchy.....blackflies can take a chunk out of me, leaving an open wound still bleeding and I hardly notice them most of the time but those little no-see-um's have always left welts that look like someone put half a marble under my skin and itch like hell...when I moved to the LML I had a little bottle of repex (100% deet)....it is still unopened 33 years later and lives in my survival kit...heheh...maybe one day I'll be in a place where the mozzies will be so thick they fly around in a cloud 2 to 3 inches away from your entire head/face...waiting for the bug dope to wear off....like where I grew up..almost enough to drive you crazy...heheh
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 07-09-2022 at 09:56 AM.

I've heard that you're not suppose to eat bananas during skid season. I've tried Deep Woods and Colman 30% deet. Neither has worked. Really bad this year most likely do to all the rain.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Arrow Re: Mosquitos and water purification

Both backpack and camp sized Thermacells. They work extremely well.

For water I have packed the 1 liter Life Straw ever since contracting both Giardia & Cryptosporidium at the same time:

https://lifestraw.com/products/lifes...40780202606703

Last Kechika run, everyone in camp collected Giardia except me. Quite obviously due to dedicated use of the life straw.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Both backpack and camp sized Thermacells. They work extremely well.

For water I have packed the 1 liter Life Straw ever since contracting both Giardia & Cryptosporidium at the same time:

https://lifestraw.com/products/lifes...40780202606703

Last Kechika run, everyone in camp collected Giardia except me. Quite obviously due to dedicated use of the life straw.

Cheers,
    Nog
    Does the Thermacell work while you are walking?
    Reading reviews on Amazon some say it's not when you are moving.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

I usually just tough out the mosquitoes. They have to be really bad for me to use some kind of spray. I spent years working in the bush durning the height of mosquito season. I feel like I’ve seen it as bad as it gets. I always just tell myself that it can be a lot worse. It’s a bit of a mind over matter thing and it works.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    I've heard that you're not suppose to eat bananas during skid season. I've tried Deep Woods and Colman 30% deet. Neither has worked. Really bad this year most likely do to all the rain.
    Give the “Watkins” repellant brand a try, in the lotion .. not the spray.
    Last edited by Ferenc; 07-09-2022 at 04:53 PM.