Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mosquitos and water purification

Hybrid View

Mosquitos and water purification

Wondering what you guys use to keep mosquitos at bay best you can? I have a mosquito jacket but not the best visibility.

Did not use it the last two weeks and must have been bitten upwards of 200 times on my back, they are really bad this year.

Also doing more backpacking stuff what do you guys use to make water safe? Boiling obviously the surefire way but tabs or those bottles/pens are so lightweight but never tried em not sure of there efficacy

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mosquitos and water purification

Mosquitoes are going to mosquito. Wear a bug net and loose clothes or suffer(and suffer). Lol.

Here’s a water purification chart. I got giardia last fall and it’s pretty serious, 10 times worse than covid. I have a hard time drinking the tabs in my water, the flavour is unbearable, especially when you know how mountain water is supposed to taste. I have an msr mini works and my friend has the guardian. I highly recommend the guardian. It pumps fast, no need for any other purification and you can pull water out of a small creek, but expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Mosquitoes are going to mosquito. Wear a bug net and loose clothes or suffer(and suffer). Lol.

Here’s a water purification chart. I got giardia last fall and it’s pretty serious, 10 times worse than covid. I have a hard time drinking the tabs in my water, the flavour is unbearable, especially when you know how mountain water is supposed to taste. I have an msr mini works and my friend has the guardian. I highly recommend the guardian. It pumps fast, no need for any other purification and you can pull water out of a small creek, but expensive.

Was up at my spots in region 8 and 2 hiking all day and man am I covered in bites my back is just ridiculous.

Is the guardian made by MSR and is it a gravity filter?

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Was up at my spots in region 8 and 2 hiking all day and man am I covered in bites my back is just ridiculous.

Is the guardian made by MSR and is it a gravity filter?
    The guardian is made by msr and it’s a pump style. I personally wouldn’t go with a gravity feed unless I was staying in the same spot for days and had lots of people to give water too. I also have an msr (dolomite?) water bag that threads onto my pump which is the same thread as a wide mouth nalgene. If you’re going on an overnighter you want at least a 4 litre bag and a 1 litre water bottle

I’m getting eaten alive doing yard work in gardens this year . Not sure if this is an old wives tale but once heard they like certain blood types more than others
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I absolutely believe they like certain people more than others. I would get attacked while my girlfriend was immune. But it could be that the mosquitoes like the taste of beer, too.

Thermacell devices work great.

So does DEET.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    I absolutely believe they like certain people more than others. I would get attacked while my girlfriend was immune. But it could be that the mosquitoes like the taste of beer, too.

Thermacell devices work great.

So does DEET.
    Hahaha yeah they are just scum man relentless little *******s. I've thought about applied reppelent but not sure if thats good scent too have

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    I’m close to immune to them so it’s not the beer / BAC. Wife gets eaten alive by them, and the bites swell up like crazy.

I grew up in region 5, so I’ve donated my share of blood, and do think we can develop a bit of tolerance / immunity to their bites. Or maybe I’m just too bitter, or taste like shit??
    Pretend hunter.

Backpacker thermacell is the ticket for hanging out in an area and Pristine water purification tabs work great without the taste that can go with some tabs. Tabs are always in my pack.

Try a few different tabs. I got mine from Amazon and they are essentially flavourless. Also make sure they are “1 tab/1 L of water”. My parter got tabs and they were terrible tasting AND 1 tab / 750 mls. With a nalgene that’s useless. We threw the tabs in the trash and ordered some more of the good ones. They are dirt cheap insurance. I usually pump/filter and then tab to be 100% sure if it’s gross water.