Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 way radio

Re: 2 way radio

Response to CanAm500

I think you are wrong. Go to any communications store out there that sells Industrial radios and you can get one - worth researching though, 'cause I'd hate to steer anybody in the wrong direction. Almost all of the HAM frequency radios are user prrogrammable as well.

I was just looking at one the other day and nobody said "boo" to me about them being illegal.
    Last edited by gearjunkierob; 11-27-2007 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Forgot to "quote" CanAm500

Guy from FM said that you cant get the user programable ones....that IC wanted techs to prgramme them.....????

Thats what i was told.
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This programmable unit is available(mine is 3 years old now) in Canada and anyone can buy it. Just one of many that are available and modable. As soon as a person gets into what they call Hobby radios, The price drops big time and the options go up. Makes a lot of sense doesn't it.
    http://www.icomcanada.com/products/a...200H/2200H.htm
    In my opinion you are far better off having a dedicated mobile. A hand held connected to an exterior antenna still only puts out 5 watts or 6 if you get the newer icom. Whereas a marine vhf fixed mount mobile ($140.00 for something half descent)) puts out 25 watts when connected to the same antenna.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBoy View Post
    SeaLevel, what do you mean by they are all about to change??
    This is just what a radio tec. was telling me.there upgrading the towers. once there done programable and wideband radio`s will be caput. If you are going to buy a radio make sure it is a narrow band one... and there is a lot of used radios for sale. don`t buy one

Yup. When they bring in narrow band every ones radios will no longer work.
    Since 1998 all radios sold in Canada are narrowband capable.
    http://www.bcforestsafe.org/content-...ads_notice.pdf

And when they decide on the frequencies of these 35 channels they can just be input into a programable radio like we do now. Those that are running marine frequencies ? nothing changes.. As I stated before none of this effects Joe six pack hunter who wants to communicate with his Buds in the bush on his selected VHF marine channel.. Nor will it effect the availability for those of us who have Repeater capability.

Is the programable face different for handhelds?

Cause thats what I have.....???
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Stresd View Post
    . As I stated before none of this effects Joe six pack hunter who wants to communicate with his Buds in the bush on his selected VHF marine channel.. .
    You stress 'marine VHF'. To what advantage over regular land-based logger-type units ?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    They are Duplex channels, meaning that they have a different Tx and Rx frequency. A radio shop would have them and they go by JP,JY,JL,YP etc. There are 11 or so that I'm aware of and have programmed into my radios. RO
    IIRC these are being slowly phased out, especially quick in areas with cell reception. The system is a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by CanAm500 View Post
    Is the programable face different for handhelds?

Cause thats what I have.....???
    Sorry? Different than what? It all would depend on what freq"s your hand held is capable of. Once they narrow band these forestry channels it will make live so much easier for the guys with programables. Instead of coming on an active logging road and having to punch in the freq that the company logging the area got a deal on some weird radios type crap. all 35 freq's will already be setup as presets and no longer have to be input. Again, here's hoping the freq''s they deside on I got.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    You stress 'marine VHF'. To what advantage over regular land-based logger-type units ?
    None. It is just what is available cheaply for anyone off the street.