Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spruce Grouse Sprucey Taste

Re: Spruce Grouse Sprucey Taste

I make mine into meatballs and add bacon to the mix, turn out amazing.
    yep that's what I said

I read some of the posts and guess I wasn’t as clear as I should have been in my post, so I will try to clarify.
    To me Spruce Grouse have their own unique taste but can have a very strong spruce smell and taste.

In the past tried many solutions such as soaking in milk, buttermilk, vinegar, red wine or salt water…did not matter how long... We tried cooking the grouse with many types of mixtures of spices and sauces. Unfortunately as I said before none of it worked for me. Even made jerky out of these grouse. Was very frustrating and knew there must be a solution out there to at least reduce the spruce.

Finally, what did work for me was to immediately clean them after getting, removing breast and legs then washing inside and outside breast and legs with water. Its not a thorough wash and scrub but a light wash. Sometimes carry old ice cream bucket, pour some water in it and swish the meat around, then pat dry.

In my original post I also forgot to mention that we then place grouse in a plastic bag and in a small cooler with ice packs. And of course leave one wing attached for identification.

Now we cook in slow cooker as a stew and still make grouse jerky but the taste is completely different.

It seems there are different levels of gamey taste tolerance. I’ve had spruce grouse in the past that were nearly inedible, but the two I shot near Elkheart on Saturday were amazing in the cacciatore on polenta the wife made tonight. The ruffed was more tender, but the much darker spruce were delicious too. The acid of the tomato base of the cacciatore helps break down the meat. It was super tender.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Grouse cacciatore sounds great! I made a cacciatore with two snowshoe hares and it was to die for. Great way to tenderize tough meat.
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    Grouse cacciatore sounds great! I made a cacciatore with two snowshoe hares and it was to die for. Great way to tenderize tough meat.
    Apparently the two hares agreed it was to die for!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I've come to the realization I'd sooner eat Spruce grouse than Ruffed grouse.

They are 2 to 3 times more tender and taste mild in the early season.

Clean them as soon as you shoot them, remove breast meat and slice across grain in 1/4" strips.

Season with garlic salt.

Fry only until they turn colour (they cook very quickly) in a little olive oil, with some butter and a bit of bacon fat.

Everyones tastes vary but we really enjoy them YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Apparently the two hares agreed it was to die for!
    Ha! Hope we all make some to die for meals this season!
    Your asking in the wrong place. This is the tinfoil hat capital of the internet

I leave them for kids to hunt or as survival food for those that are lost and hungry

Not a fan of adult spruce grouse but they work well when combined with some pork belly when making hot Italian sausage. I tend to make dog treats out of them since my dog retrieved them all or if I have enough meat for treats I just pass on them. I find the younger birds with have much lighter breast meat to taste just fine because they’re still on a diet if berries and small leaves instead of pine needles.

Heard that cooking them in a skillet with orange marmalade is a good option,,,,, may have to try that.
    He's NOT your buddy, buddy!