Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spruce Grouse Sprucey Taste

Spruce Grouse Sprucey Taste

Thought I would share this tidbit...

I find the taste of Spruce Grouse to be very strong and at times repulsive. My wife and I tried many things to improve the taste and reduce the sprucey taste from much research on the internet..Nothing seemed to work.

Last year my wife suggested that as soon as we get a Sprucey we clean it as usual but also wash the meat with a little water. Voila that seemed to do the trick. Now we carry extra water with us and we clean and wash all birds we get.

The strong smell and taste are gone.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spruce Grouse Sprucey Taste

Thanks for the tip….I’ve eaten a lot of grouse over the years and haven’t disliked a single one, but if this takes them to the next level I’m in for a try.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Dana put out a good one years ago. Grouse poppers. Beer batter and deep fry, dip them in a homemade sauce. Strong flavour is gone. My wife makes a ginger sauce and I can’t get enough of them, would never know you’re eating spruce grouse. Too deep frying is not that healthy for you.
    If the world is warming why are there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why do you demand special treatment?

You can not comply your way out of tyranny.

Fire them ALL!

Sometimes late season birds start to taste like what they eat. Years ago my dad came home with a bunch of Blue Grouse from higher elevation close to the East Kettle, they tasted like those Pine Tree car air fresheners, you couldn't eat them, he said their crops were full of pine needles. Sometimes the old hens or cocks can be strong flavoured.

Soak the breasts in milk overnight. That's what we did to remove the tree taste.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

What a novel idea.... wash the meat and pat dry before using in your favourite recipe...??

Really? Isn't that standard practice with all game to at least clean any dust and dirt??

I actually prefer spruce over ruffed and it is precisely for their distinct flavour. Pan fried on a cast iron skillet in olive oil with a sprinkle of salt, pepper and a little hot smoked paprika... heavenly.
    The Pharmaceutical Industry is just as interested in World Health as the Arms Industry is in World Peace.

"We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one." -Confucius

Brines are the best thing I've learned about since I started hunting.

Trick to grouse and all other meat is clean them immeidiatly wipe them down and chilled.

Spruce grouse goes good in Butter Chicken

only Willow Grouse are worth eating unless your starving ! JMO RJ