Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GOS moose in Region 5

Re: GOS moose in Region 5

The Farwell Canyon slide in 2004 that hit the salmon runs hard was another big factor that shut down the brief R5 spike fork season as well. This was part of the First Nation outcry at that time.

I was driving back to town with a 2x2 bull in the box of my truck when the announcement came on the radio that the spike/fork season was being shut down. As stated allready, it was cancelled mid season due to political pressure.

As far as the ATV ban, IIRC, it originated when we had a combination of one of the last true "any bull" seasons during the rut, coupled with some of the most concentrated logging activity this province has ever seen. At that time Quesnel was seeing upwards of 1000 logging trucks a day coming to town at the peak. The open any bull season also resulted in a concentration of hunters you would have had to see to believe.....it was nuts. ATV's ripping around the bush roads with that level of logging traffic was a recipe for disaster. this was one of the main reasons for the ATV ban. Like we all know...once you lose something its almost impossible to get it back. It went away way back when, and just never came back.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

hmm the last 6 years of hunting moose EAST..of the Pond..only seen a couple of other hunters..part of THE PLAN...seen more indians in the box of their pick ups..than quads..did see 3 quads that went past me..slowed down..backed up..turned off their ATVS..asked if I was SRUPP..lol of course I denied the allegations..
    mule deer are WAY down in region 5,grizzly numbers are up in past 5 years..moose numbers are static in past 10 years of course their locations have shifted..
    i dont hunt too much east of the Fraser river due to the 3 % problem..hunt for fun..protein comraderie..not for what next..a GREAT BROOKIE lake also doesnt get my attention ..
    oh well...cest la vie..
    steven

but at least you can quad the cotton now....what a joke