Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Archery Draw

Re: Archery Draw

Nice work Mike! Would you recommend quads for exploring the area or will a pick up get us from spot to spot ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8 white hunter View Post
    Wow you must be very lucky ,We have had that draw a few times in 6-1 to no success.
    One of the hunting partners has been to this MU many times & has also come home empty handed on occasion, so yes, luck is definitely part of the game. Last year during the GOS they were skunked but ran into a couple that had bagged an animal where they were hunting. Other than the bull we got that year we only caught sight of several cows & calves during our time there. Rick knows the area & he set us up in locations where he's had success in the past. I did some exploring with my canoe & found some sign, but no sightings. One day we did a long loop on FSRs on quads & motorbike, this is when we saw a cow & calf on the road.
    Last edited by mike31154; 07-05-2022 at 10:10 AM.

My hunting buddy Rick knows the area so we didn't do that much exploring other than a large loop one day on quads, me on my motorbike. We set up in spots Rick had had success before & it wasn't until the end of the 1st week that we got the bull. The main FSRs are large & easily traveled with a truck, quads are useful for some of the spurs. There was active logging near our camp & the trucks were rolling early & late into the evening.

Our routine was early rise, coffee & oatmeal then quads/motorbike to designated spots before sunrise. I had brought VHF radios so we could communicate although we weren't always within range of each other. Back to camp for a hearty breakfast & then out again during the day to explore & scout. We had some vehicle & quad breakdown issues during the week, so a few more unscheduled long trips back to Vanderhoof than we anticipated. Back to designated spots in the evening.

Coincidentally during the 1st week we ran into an acquaintance of Rick from the Island that was there for bow GOS. Quite a character, he had hunted moose with bow before & had some good stories. Not sure I'd have the courage to put an arrow into moose at close range as one of the stories he told involved the wounded critter coming at him.

I had a nice day paddling on a lake & up a creek that fed into it. If you can bring along some sort of watercraft, it can be a useful tool for exploring/scouting.

Last edited by mike31154; 07-05-2022 at 10:14 AM.

The only way to get a moose with archery is to mimic a moose.
    Be like a bull, find a mud hole, you and your partner urinate in it as much as you can then you need to roll in it coating yourself from head to toe - you and your partner need to repeat this every day.
    Be like a cow, make long waling call, get onto your hands and knees and wait.............. this is the honey hole method.

let me know how it works out for you.