Thread: September Skookumchuck hunting

September Skookumchuck hunting

Hey guys, my hunting partner and I are going to be spending 10 days hunting in the Skookumchuck area for elk, whitetail deer, and mule deer starting sept 10. On the way we'll be spending a night around Castlegar and doing a quick evening and morning hunt before carrying on to Skookumchuck. We have never been to either area but know a couple fellas who hunt there every year. We are using google earth and as many wildlife studies and info as we can find to help give us an idea of where to look. We are focusing on bull elk, but we wont pass up legal bucks either. Not looking to snake anyone's hard earned spots but any kind of info, tips, or places to hike into would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Josh
    If you are not wet, cold, and have sore legs, you're not blacktail hunting.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: September Skookumchuck hunting

Skookumchuck is every Kimberly hunter and pulp mill workers local evening hunting spot. I would go a little farther out from town since your already driving all this way drive another 50km and get away from the crowds.

I’ve been up there years ago and got a monster 4pt mule buck. I’d say take the mountain bikes & bike trailers and stick to the areas that are closed to motor vehicles. Buhl creek comes to mind.

Great to know thanks, yes we'll probably target areas closed to vehicles or gated off and hike in from there. We are no strangers to putting in the km's on foot, we plan on hiking big and glassing a lot.
    If you are not wet, cold, and have sore legs, you're not blacktail hunting.